Rear axle clams

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Rear axle clams

Post by Stakebed »

well these came off my 29 worm drive and believed to be the originals yet they are different... like ones a poor casting and the other is much thicker. did one get replaced at one time?

almost done :)
(ive since got it sandblasted and painted today)
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Re: Rear axle clams

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Stakebed:

Was your truck manufactured in the good ol' U.S. of A., or is it Canadian? They reason I ask is because, if it's Canadian it might have different jobbers on it. I was going to send some to a buddy in Melbourne, Australia, but we found out that his truck was made in Canada......and, the jobbers look the same, but they are different size than American-made. Could you possibly have a mix of American and Canadian? Just a thought.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

I dunno it was supposedly bought from the next town over and used on my great grandpas farm for 20 some years...

the part of it that fits around the axle is nice and snug its the "ears" where the spring eye bolts to thats different

EDIT:

i checked my "new to me" springs with the clams still attached and they are the same way... is this to differentiate between left and right? can they be interchanged?
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

so noone knows why they were made this way? seems kinda odd to me... also which one is the right or left? i need to study my pics again, if i rememebr right the pin lock goes towards the worm with the nut facing the rear....