Any suggestions on how to repair?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Any suggestions on how to repair?

Post by elfox »

I just bought a high-speed rear diff, and the spline obviously needs some work. I have talked to a machine shop, and the repairs could get pricey. Does anyone know of a reputable business that does this kind of repair?

Thanks, Elfox

Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: Any suggestions on how to repair?

Post by Reds34 »

What kind of condition is everything else in if there is that much wear?

Red
elfox

Post by elfox »

Actually, the driven gear is in really good shape, along with all the bearings. The driven gear still has allot of life left in it. I think this wear on the splines was caused by water intrusion into the area of the spline, as it is/was really rusty. The brown area is all oil-soaked rust.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

I'm not sure how the worm drive axle goes together, but could you just weld the coupling to the worm? It might be ghetto, but it might work. Just a thought.

Red
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

elfox wrote:I just bought a high-speed rear diff, and the spline obviously needs some work. I have talked to a machine shop, and the repairs could get pricey. Does anyone know of a reputable business that does this kind of repair?

Thanks, Elfox

Could you post a hi-rez close-up of the gear end?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
elfox

Post by elfox »

Spectria - I don't have the female spline that fits onto the worn spline shown here. Is that what you need a pic of? Or do you want a pic of the end near the thrust bearing?
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
spectria

Post by spectria »

elfox wrote:Spectria - I don't have the female spline that fits onto the worn spline shown here. Is that what you need a pic of? Or do you want a pic of the end near the thrust bearing?
I wanted to see the gear condition of that pinion. If the rest of the gear is excellent, it might be worth welding up and machining. I have welded and hand filed a splined trans output shaft for time considerations and costs. In SF, the good machinists were always weeks behind.
elfox

Post by elfox »

Spectria - This is the only pic I have at the moment of the pinion gear. It appears to be in good shape. I don't know that I would trust my abilities enough to try and weld up and file down the splines myself. I don't think I have enough talent to keep the shaft from warping while welding. I can count the number of times I have welded on one hand!

Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Warpspeed

Post by Warpspeed »

The female spline is probably just as worn as the male.

The male can be welded up and milled, and then heat treated, but the female is a whole lot bigger problem to repair.
Brian T
Body Type: 82A

Post by Brian T »

I would be inclined to leave it alone, my reason being is the truck will most likely only be driven with little load to shows, parades, or short tours as I do with our club, I think this way it would outlive most folks here on this board.
Find another coupler, this will reduce the wear by a half, I am sure Neil Wilson would have one, I can not see how a weld would penetrate a harden steel shaft, (stick to yes) and then spend countless hours filing.
Nothing can be made fool proof, fools are ingenious bastards.
elfox

Post by elfox »

Thanks for the advice. I don't have the matching (worn) female end to this spline, and I would rather not mess up the female spline that is currently installed in my truck by using this male end before it is fixed. This worm was purchased only recently, in hopes to install the high-speed gear set into my truck. I am mainly interested in finding someone that can do the repairs, hopefully someone that has done this same repair successfully in the past.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Why don't you post this on FORD BARN also, you will probably get more responses.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Bob
spectria

Post by spectria »

elfox, the splined end of your worm gear is soft and a perfect candidate for welding and machining. If you take a file to the undamaged portion, you will see how soft it is.
I agree, I wouldn't run that shaft in your good yoke, repairs will be reasonable. Wish I hadn't sold my mill, I would do it for you!
Ck on Fordbarn...