AA dual high unit update

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Buckwheat
Model Year: 1930

AA dual high unit update

Post by Buckwheat »

My dual high unit seems to be fine,, it was my rear end that was locked up. I pulled the rearend this morning it has the same "will not roll" problem that it had on the truck. I still plan to replace the dual high unit with a coupler shaft eventually, since this truck will see alot of use.

In the mean time, I am looking at replacing the 3 speed with a late '29/'30 4 speed and going to the high speed rear end(since I have to rebuild the thing anyway).

Any thoughts or experience with that improvment? Someone has told be the bellhousing may be different and have to be changed also????

buckwheat
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

4-speed installation

Post by Neil Wilson »

You will need the clutch housing for a 4-speed for the conversion.
Regards, Neil Wilson

early AA rear end

Post by Karl_ct »

worm gear rear ends don't like to reverse(push start etc.) try applying some torque to the drive shaft input before you rip it apart. I've got a late '29 with a 4 speed, it does use the large bell housing, it has an intermeadiate drive shaft from the back of the transmission to the carrier cross member, this may be a diferent length than the dual high unit. I've got several down at the barn but I won't have time in the near future to check as the barn is in a diferent town. My appologies.