ok FIGURE OUT THE YEAR 1929 OR 30

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
EWASTENORTHWEST
Model Year: 1930

ok FIGURE OUT THE YEAR 1929 OR 30

Post by EWASTENORTHWEST »

From the center of the front wheel to the center of the back wheel is 131 inches.Gas cap and radiator cap is threaded on.
So I either have a 29 or a 30 or the odd year where they used 29 and 30 parts. Wheels are 5 spoke not six
Where is the vin number located on an AA.
Engine is not original.
I have the bill of sale for this truck and the history from the owner Who told me it's a 29.
KRIS COPENHAGEN
REM

Post by REM »

Kris
I'm by no means the expert here but I do know the # on the frame is located on top of the left frame rail just behind the rear motor mount.
I noticed from your pictures it appears yopu have a 30 style steering wheel which would indicate an early 30.
I also believe the bevel gear rear axle, dual wheels and 5 hole wheels were 30 items although I not sure of the exact time those changes were made.
My truck has all those features plus the 30 style gas cap and the frame # indicates it was built April 30 or later.
If you can get the frame # you will know very close to when it was made.
Richard
EWASTENORTHWEST

VIN NUMBER

Post by EWASTENORTHWEST »

Mite as well forget the vin number Frame rail is all rusty.
and I can't find any thing. Where's the block number at on the block
KRIS COPENHAGEN
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: VIN NUMBER

Post by mikeg »

[quote="EWASTENORTHWEST"]Mite as well forget the vin number Frame rail is all rusty.
and I can't find any thing. Where's the block number at on the block[/quote]

Hey! Don't you watch CSI!? :) I bet they could lift the VIN number off a rubbed out, rusty frame rail!

Seriously though, don't give up too soon. I had a frame that I could barely make out the number, I wire brushed it, sprayed it with ether and wiped it clean and was able to make out the hint of the numbers by looking really close.

The serial number is stamped on a flat spot directly across the block from the carb on the drivers side of the engine.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Year of truck

Post by Mike in Maine »

Kris,
On the inside of the wheel (bowl side) there should be stamped a date of manufacture by Budd wheel. Month and year. It will not conclusively date your truck but it would be interesting (and probably rare) if the dates matched all wheels. If you can manage a frame # as well all the better.
Mike
HKDude
Body Type: Platform
Model Year: 1929

Post by HKDude »

Kris,

No expert here either but I have a 29 as well. The engine has been switched and the serial number is long gone from the frame. I actually went so far as to buy some forensic gel used to recover serial numbers from firearms. No luck.

There's an interesting article on the mafca website that may help:

http://www.mafca.com/whatyear.html

This website is targeted toward cars but since the AA trucks used a lot of car parts it maybe helpful to you.

Another good reference is the judging standards. I've been able to narrow the year down by looking at individual parts (such as the fuel shutoff, throttle control linkage, etc).

You can never rule out a part swap that may have occured in the distant past but you can be relatively sure.

Good luck.

-mike
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Everything (from the photos) points to an early '30, except for as you say- the threaded gas and radiator caps. Could the truck have been built in Canada- thus the annomally with the caps...? It would be a very good idea to get involved with a Model A club or chapter in you area. Like anything worth doing, this project needs a considerable amount of detailed research (which is all excellent fun-). Very best of luck.