Tow truck is com ring together but I need help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Re: Tow truck is com ring together but I need help

Post by 1929 AA boy »

If it uploads this is a picture of the one I bought
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

1929 AA boy wrote:If it uploads this is a picture of the one I bought
image.jpg
It uploaded! need more pics though... make em 220 kb in size for better viewing here.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Well I'll try but I upload from my phone so that might b interesting
oldtimetowing
Model Year: 1930

Post by oldtimetowing »

As for mounting old wreckers:
First of all you don't want a lot of overhang behind the rear axle so the bed and sometimes the frame were usually shortened up to almost the tires.
As for location, a lot of guys will just set the wrecker down on the wood bed where it looks ok and bolt it down. It may look ok and works if you don't plan on doing anything with it. But old school and to be historically or hysterically correct is to build a frame, set the wrecker on it and bolt down the wrecker down to the sub frame and frame of the truck. The other way is to run long 9/16" bolts through the wrecker, bed, down both sides of the frame with a tie strap at the bottom on all four corners.
Where the wrecker was positioned was determined whether or not you were using a stand off or tow poles to space the towed vehicle away from the back of the truck. If not, then the wrecker had to be mounted between the rear axle and the end of the frame to be able to reach out and pick up a vehicle. if you were then the wrecker cold be further forward putting more weight towards the front of the truck. On my truck, I built the sub frame with the rear of the wrecker just forward of the rear axle which also then gives me room for the auto ambulance , curb jack and other road service equipment. in the picture you can see the six brackets and cross members that position the wrecker.
Attachments
Wrecker sub frame .JPG
Wrecker sub frame .JPG (97.24 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Thanks old time towing that is tons of help and is much appreciated
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

oldtimetowing wrote:As for mounting old wreckers:
First of all you don't want a lot of overhang behind the rear axle so the bed and sometimes the frame were usually shortened up to almost the tires.
As for location, a lot of guys will just set the wrecker down on the wood bed where it looks ok and bolt it down. It may look ok and works if you don't plan on doing anything with it. But old school and to be historically or hysterically correct is to build a frame, set the wrecker on it and bolt down the wrecker down to the sub frame and frame of the truck. The other way is to run long 9/16" bolts through the wrecker, bed, down both sides of the frame with a tie strap at the bottom on all four corners.
Where the wrecker was positioned was determined whether or not you were using a stand off or tow poles to space the towed vehicle away from the back of the truck. If not, then the wrecker had to be mounted between the rear axle and the end of the frame to be able to reach out and pick up a vehicle. if you were then the wrecker cold be further forward putting more weight towards the front of the truck. On my truck, I built the sub frame with the rear of the wrecker just forward of the rear axle which also then gives me room for the auto ambulance , curb jack and other road service equipment. in the picture you can see the six brackets and cross members that position the wrecker.
Nice, and nice wheels...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

very nice wheels! got any full truck pics? i wish mine will turn out half that good.
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

the AA its on is not the one its going on and I don't think im going to use the bed
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.48 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
image[1].jpeg
image[1].jpeg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
image[2].jpeg
image[2].jpeg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

image[5].jpeg
image[5].jpeg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
image[4].jpeg
image[4].jpeg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

personally i like the bed. But it is up to you. does it even properly fit an AA frame?

Whatever you do please try to sell it to a good home if you want to get rid of it.
Chris Hendrickson
Body Type: tow truck
Model Year: 1928

Post by Chris Hendrickson »

Maybe you find some inspiration; from one of my favorite toys. Notice the similarity in bed design. The 1929 AA Roadster Tow Truck has the high-low, with a 31 high speed rear end. Just wish we had more sunshine in the northwest. Love it when the tops off. Chris
Attachments
002.JPG
002.JPG (266.2 KiB) Viewed 6954 times
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

That's a pretty cool truck I like the Manley crane there hard to find
oldtimetowing
Model Year: 1930

Post by oldtimetowing »

That Sasgen is a pretty unique unit in that the boom will swing out to the side. There aren't too many of those still around. The body is most likely was originally off of a mid 30's or later truck. Most of the trucks of the AA vintage had the service car style bodies, cut down car bodies, simple pick up/express beds or were just bolted down to the truck frame. The rounded or sloping style of bed started with the 34-35 Ford service/tow trucks.

Two sources for reference pictures are "Wreckers and Tow Trucks" by Don Wood, Motorbooks International or Tow trucks by John Gunnell, Krause Publications.
jtw
Body Type: Service
Model Year: 1928

Post by jtw »

This is a picture of my tow truck that was taken back in the 60's after 25+ years of work and it shows the location in relation to the rear wheels, and the frame is not cut.
fs_1116869.jpg
fs_1116869.jpg (244.99 KiB) Viewed 6892 times
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

jtw wrote:This is a picture of my tow truck that was taken back in the 60's after 25+ years of work and it shows the location in relation to the rear wheels, and the frame is not cut.
fs_1116869.jpg
Hey that's a pretty cool AA I suppose it doesn't have a price tag on it either lol