Tow truck is com ring together but I need help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Tow truck is com ring together but I need help

Post by 1929 AA boy »

So I finally found a hand crank tow boom it is made by sasgen Derrick company it's defiantly not the weaver that I wanted but it will do now the big question is where on the frame do I mount it my first thought was right over the rear axle because it will be functional since I have a 1928 cabriolet that I would like to pull around for shows parade ect. ... Update frome my last post forever ago ... I now own 5 AA's and three model A cars one Tudor one cabriolet and a standard coupe ... I think I have some kind of issue but I'm ok with that
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Re: Tow truck is com ring together but I need help

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I have often thought about where the ideal spot to mount it would be. I would think it would need to be far enough back that the rear end of the frame rails did not interfere with the towing operation. Cograts on your find, I am jealous!
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yea i mean you want it far enough back to clear the frame rails (were they ever cut off on true AA tow trucks???) but not too far back that the rear axle acts as a pivot point lifting the front wheels up.

i too would say directly over the rear axle but who knows. ill check in the green book and see if they show a diagram or anything.
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

I know the frames were routinely cut for the dump trucks, so why not the Tows?
Ideally the weight distribution would put enough on the axles to prevent lift at the steering, but with those big springs on the AA cantilevered as they are, it may be an issue. Looking at restored service trucks it looks like the base is just foreward of the rear axle.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Looking at TK's Truck,
The boom is mounted very far back.
Attachments
zpfile002.jpg
zpfile002.jpg (103.81 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
FordModelAmuseum_01_1200-700x399.jpg
FordModelAmuseum_01_1200-700x399.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
oldtimetowing
Model Year: 1930

Post by oldtimetowing »

FYI tow truck 101 Early tow trucks usually had the cranes mounted behind the rear axle because the common method of towing was originally was to just wrap chains around the frame horns/bumper brackets of the car you wanted to tow and lift it . The car was often free to swing around and you didn't want it to hit the back of the truck so often an old tire was the cushion between the truck and car. As tow poles and standoff bars were developed, the cranes were moved further forward on the chassis for better weight distribution.
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

1929 AA boy wrote:So I finally found a hand crank tow boom it is made by sasgen Derrick company it's defiantly not the weaver that I wanted but it will do now the big question is where on the frame do I mount it my first thought was right over the rear axle because it will be functional since I have a 1928 cabriolet that I would like to pull around for shows parade ect. ... Update frome my last post forever ago ... I now own 5 AA's and three model A cars one Tudor one cabriolet and a standard coupe ... I think I have some kind of issue but I'm ok with that
Sick.....
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

miner art wrote:
1929 AA boy wrote:So I finally found a hand crank tow boom it is made by sasgen Derrick company it's defiantly not the weaver that I wanted but it will do now the big question is where on the frame do I mount it my first thought was right over the rear axle because it will be functional since I have a 1928 cabriolet that I would like to pull around for shows parade ect. ... Update frome my last post forever ago ... I now own 5 AA's and three model A cars one Tudor one cabriolet and a standard coupe ... I think I have some kind of issue but I'm ok with that
Sick.....
LOL, join the rest of us ill...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Nice Tow Truck!!!!!!!!!!
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

oldtimetowing wrote:FYI tow truck 101 Early tow trucks usually had the cranes mounted behind the rear axle because the common method of towing was originally was to just wrap chains around the frame horns/bumper brackets of the car you wanted to tow and lift it . The car was often free to swing around and you didn't want it to hit the back of the truck so often an old tire was the cushion between the truck and car. As tow poles and standoff bars were developed, the cranes were moved further forward on the chassis for better weight distribution.

Thanks for the info I think with the rout I'm headed I'm going to mount it over the crossmember above the axle ... I'm thinking I'll build a carryer bar that I can put under the wheels of another model a truck or car ... That will save me from bending scratching or roughing them up in general ... Now I just need to figure out how to make it look period correct ... Rigid square tubing won't look the greatest but hey I'll figure it out
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

some people just cheat :wink:
Attachments
2012-08-07_11-48-44_255.jpg
2012-08-07_11-48-44_255.jpg (210.14 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1004.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
oldtimetowing
Model Year: 1930

Post by oldtimetowing »

29 AA boy Give me an e-mail address and I can shoe you what I did.
1929 AA boy

Post by 1929 AA boy »

spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

oldtimetowing wrote:29 AA boy Give me an e-mail address and I can shoe you what I did.

Care to SHARE?

us tow truck guys need to stick together :wink:
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

oldtimetowing wrote:29 AA boy Give me an e-mail address and I can shoe you what I did.
Hey now, Can't we all share??? :D
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org