Interior pannels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Interior pannels

Post by KimVanOrder »

I am in the process of restoring a '28 AA. All of the door pannels, Kick pannels etc are gone. What are they supposed to be made of and how are they trimmed out? Can they be purchased some Place? Thanks for any help..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Interior pannels

Post by 1crosscut »

They are made out of a cardboard / fiberboard type of material and have a vinyl covering. I got my replacements from Lebaron Bonnie. Fit pretty well.

Before I replaced the door panels I wrote the history of the truck on the inside of the passenger door panel. Maybe sometime in the far distant future it might make an interesting read for someone.

Dave
Last edited by 1crosscut on November 9th, 2013, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Dave
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Check out the pictures at this link http://abarnyard.com/temp/82-a/

Bob
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

1crosscut wrote:They are made out of a cardboard / fiberboard type of material and have a vinyl covering. I got my replacements from Lebaron Bonnie. Fit pretty well.

Before I replaced the door panels I wrote the history of the truck on the inside of the passenger door panel. Maybe sometime in the far distant future it mike make an interesting read for someone.

Dave
Neat idea! kinda like people stamping messages or dates and name on piston heads when they rebuild them :wink:
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

1crosscut wrote:They are made out of a cardboard / fiberboard type of material and have a vinyl covering. I got my replacements from Lebaron Bonnie. Fit pretty well.

Before I replaced the door panels I wrote the history of the truck on the inside of the passenger door panel. Maybe sometime in the far distant future it mike make an interesting read for someone.

Dave
Neat idea! kinda like people stamping messages or dates and name on piston heads when they rebuild them :wink:

but to answer the question: a model A door i have from who knows what has whats left of the door pannel: fiber board (similar to what peg boards are made from) covered in vinyl.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

There are currently no vendors selling original style upholstery cardboard panel for the 82-A closed cab. Vendors are selling cardboard panels covered with vinyl with edge binding similar to original.

82-A closed cab upholstery is the subject of an article in the April 2009 Double A'er newsletter. Below is an extraction from this 7 page article. The original seat, cardboard, and windlacing is covered.

There are nine cardboard upholstery panels for the 82-A cab as listed below. Note that there is no upholstery listed for the wooden door header.
These panels are listed as “cardboard” because they were actually only an embossed cardboard made to look like leather. They were approximately .1” thick with a binding sewn on exposed edges.

Black Color Scheme (start of production through 7/28?)
Part Number Part Name
A-80410 Cardboard (door) assembly - RH
A-80411 Cardboard (door) assembly - LH
A-83634 Cardboard (quarter) assembly - RH
A-83635 Cardboard (quarter) assembly - LH
*A-83632 Cardboard (quarter lock pillar) assembly
AA-82272 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - RH
AA-82273 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - LH
A-82664 Cardboard (windshield header) assembly
* two required per cab

Brown Color Scheme (8/28? through 6 or 7/30)
Part Number Part Name
A-73510 Cardboard (door) assembly - RH
A-73511 Cardboard (door) assembly - LH
A-83634-B Cardboard (quarter) assembly - RH
A-83635-B Cardboard (quarter) assembly - LH
*A-83632-B Cardboard (quarter lock pillar) assembly
AA-72272 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - RH
AA-72273 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - LH
A-82664-B Cardboard (windshield header) assembly
*two required per cab
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 187-A

Re: Interior panels

Post by Jazzjr »

This Photo wont help anyone with a 28-29 Model A or AA, mine is a early 30s cowl
The dimensions in the Photo below I'm Posting for others that may have a 30-31 A or AA. I used these Dimensions on a piece of 1/8 Luann Paneling. Then I coated the cut out panel with contact cement and covered the panel with Black Vinyl upholstery material. I trimmed it to 1 inch bigger all around on the back side.
Then used masking tape on the rear to hold it on the back side, while the glue dried. For the Welting I used the Black Vinyl again cut into 1-1/2 strips, sprayed it with 3M Spray Glue. and for the core I used 3/8 Round Foam Weather Stripping made by Frost King, Lowes or Home Depot and most Hardware stores have the Round Foam.
I did not draw the Dia. Found it on the Ford Barn.
http://www.picresize.com/images/t100_1884.jpg
Attachments
Cowl panel.jpg
Cowl panel.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Here are pictures of the original material from my previous 31 AA. I have more pictures if need be. I hope this helps some. :roll:
Attachments
2013-11-10_16-05-40_620.jpg
2013-11-10_16-05-40_620.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
2013-11-10_16-05-47_966.jpg
2013-11-10_16-05-47_966.jpg (99.61 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
2013-11-10_16-06-23_413.jpg
2013-11-10_16-06-23_413.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 7797 times
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump

Post by Hardhatz »

If you want to go fancy, you can get 2 or 3 mm aircraft plywood.
Spendy, but magnificent.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/w ... hbirch.php

I made some for a Silver Shadow out of 5mm, they turned out yummy.
Veger
Body Type: Stake Bed
Model Year: 1930

Post by Veger »

I got all my panels to do my coupe myself From MAC'S http://www.macsautoparts.com and they got for trucks too. Was talking to somebody the other day in the business and they told me if they had nothing to use they would use that silver board for homes when framing out the walls. Very easy to work with is weather proof and sounds like a GREAT idea if nothing else is at hand. :) Smiles Good luck
jtw
Body Type: Service

Post by jtw »

The best cardboard to use, as a backer for the vinal, is Thermo Ply by Tyco. I haven't bought any for a few years so don't know if it is still made. It didn't warp after a few years like most other upholstery cardboards. The 1/8" plywood was OK but alot of extra work to seal up so that it also wouldn't bow after a couple of years. It was easy to sew through. The Thermo Ply didn't need any extra prep work and was also easy to sew through for the edge binding. The original binding on the exposed edges of the embossed cardboard, that was used, was single folded on the outside exposed edge and was flat on the back side. It was quite thin compared to the vinal binding that commercial upholstery companies are using.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Neil Wilson wrote:There are currently no vendors selling original style upholstery cardboard panel for the 82-A closed cab. Vendors are selling cardboard panels covered with vinyl with edge binding similar to original.

82-A closed cab upholstery is the subject of an article in the April 2009 Double A'er newsletter. Below is an extraction from this 7 page article. The original seat, cardboard, and windlacing is covered.

There are nine cardboard upholstery panels for the 82-A cab as listed below. Note that there is no upholstery listed for the wooden door header.
These panels are listed as “cardboard” because they were actually only an embossed cardboard made to look like leather. They were approximately .1” thick with a binding sewn on exposed edges.

Black Color Scheme (start of production through 7/28?)
Part Number Part Name
A-80410 Cardboard (door) assembly - RH
A-80411 Cardboard (door) assembly - LH
A-83634 Cardboard (quarter) assembly - RH
A-83635 Cardboard (quarter) assembly - LH
*A-83632 Cardboard (quarter lock pillar) assembly
AA-82272 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - RH
AA-82273 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - LH
A-82664 Cardboard (windshield header) assembly
* two required per cab

Brown Color Scheme (8/28? through 6 or 7/30)
Part Number Part Name
A-73510 Cardboard (door) assembly - RH
A-73511 Cardboard (door) assembly - LH
A-83634-B Cardboard (quarter) assembly - RH
A-83635-B Cardboard (quarter) assembly - LH
*A-83632-B Cardboard (quarter lock pillar) assembly
AA-72272 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - RH
AA-72273 Cardboard (cowl) assembly - LH
A-82664-B Cardboard (windshield header) assembly
*two required per cab
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1wonton
Body Type: Express

Post by 1wonton »

Bob C wrote:Check out the pictures at this link http://abarnyard.com/temp/82-a/

Bob
I didn't see any pictures of the interior panels. Looks like a very nice original truck, what a shame someone "restored it".
As far as the interior panels go, they were not covered in vynal but a thin layer of paper (over the cardboard) which gave the color. The Panel trucks had an embossed design impressed onto the panels and different from the regular trucks.