1928 brake questions

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
fordman88
Model Year: 1929

1928 brake questions

Post by fordman88 »

hey there! i know that the "early 28" trucks are quite a bit more rare but hoping to find some advise from some one with knowledge on the diffrent style of brakes. all of the parts that make up the "cross shaft" seem to be in good shape including the u-joint cover pieces. i understand how it goes back together, but not sure how i could possibly adjust all of the slack out and get all of the brakes set right with that many joints between the peddle and the brakes. i guess long story short... i could make everything move right, but afraid that i would not be able to stop hahaha!! :lol: any info or tips would be awesome

thanks so much
Trevor
Trevor O Davis
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1928 brake questions

Post by KimVanOrder »

Hey Trevor: I just finished my cross shaft work today. Not too hard to get rid of all the slop in the system. Start at the break pedal and work your way tword the breaks. I did one wheel at a time. The Model A mechanics handbook walks you throu the process and how to set them up so rears take most of the load. Just get into it and take your time and do it right the first time. ( Experience talking)... Good Luck.. KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

thanks!! i wont be getting to far in to the 28 till next month but the brake parts are the ones that are going into the wash this week. since it is such a different set up from the 29 and up, im just wanting to get everything figured out in my head before i get into it
Trevor O Davis
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A

Post by Roadster AA »

I have a early 28 AA.
I will be doing my brakes later this winter or next spring.
It would be very nice if you could post pictures of your steps and progress on your brake job.
I have never worked on AA brakes yet and have not had my hubs off.
All I know is they are different than later AAs. My handbrake is on the left.
Pictures are so much help.
Thanks,

Pat
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

Pictures are no problem for me, I tend to get a lil "trigger happy" with the camera what im working
Trevor O Davis
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

KimVanOrder wrote:Hey Trevor: I just finished my cross shaft work today. Not too hard to get rid of all the slop in the system. Start at the break pedal and work your way tword the breaks. I did one wheel at a time. The Model A mechanics handbook walks you throu the process and how to set them up so rears take most of the load. Just get into it and take your time and do it right the first time. ( Experience talking)... Good Luck.. KVO
the model A book has AA brake setups in it?

i thought you wanted the fronts to lock up before the rears (which i know is rather hard due to the physical brake size differences) so you may skid but at least straight.

or on AA's do you want it more of a 50/50?
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

the book has brake info that seems to be pretty standard as both the As and the AAs are very similar, just obviously a few size differences hahaha!!

the book however doesn't give any info or tips on the different "multi-piece" type cross shaft that the early 28s have.

as for brake proportioning, i think my 29 is bout 50/50. probably not right but it definitely stops :lol:
Trevor O Davis
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

fordman88 wrote:the book has brake info that seems to be pretty standard as both the As and the AAs are very similar, just obviously a few size differences hahaha!!

the book however doesn't give any info or tips on the different "multi-piece" type cross shaft that the early 28s have.

as for brake proportioning, i think my 29 is bout 50/50. probably not right but it definitely stops :lol:
yea ive been warned with properly setup and functioning AA brakes with an unloaded truck you will put your face into the windshield when stomping the brakes haha
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

i believe it!! :o
Trevor O Davis
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Note to those restoring/rebuilding EARLY '28/AR(?) multi link brake systems: Those were discontinued because IF ANY PART OF THE SYSTEM FAILS YOU LOSE ALL(EVEN EMERGENCY!!!) BRAKES RIGHT NOW!!! THE RECCOMMENDED "FIX" IS TO CHANGE TO A LATE '28 (OR NEWER) BRAKE CROSS-SHAFT: EVEN IF ONE PART FAILS YOU STILL HAVE AT LEAST "SOME" BRAKES! I would hope that even the nit-pickiest Concourse Judge would not fault an owner for a "SAFETY UP-GRADE"!!!(The're not supposed to, as I believe this "fix" is mentioned in the Standards/manuals as both acceptable & reccommended!) NOTE: You will have to do some minor modifications to the 'new' crossshaft to retain your 'left-hand' brake lever; they are fairly simple, move (or fabricate ) a lever on the cross-shaft to connect the hand-brake rod to the new shaft. Thanks for listening ...drtrcrV-8 P.S : This upgrade also makes the brake adjustment MUCH easier as you don't have all that extra linkage to take all the wear/'slop' out of. SAFER PLUS EASIER = WIN/WIN!
fordman88

Post by fordman88 »

thank you all for your input so far!!
i definitely see how this multi link set up would cause problems!! the 28 will most likely never see a road as it will be stuck with its farming heritage as long as i have any say in it. how ever, i saved the cross shaft from the frame i scrapped and my look into keeping it for that purpose if it ever becomes necessary.
Trevor O Davis