Beware of thieves

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Beware of thieves

Post by Chris Haynes »

Someone came into my back yard and stole the Express Bed for my AA. It was a complete bed but easily identifiable because it had once been a trailer. To make more room inside the trailer they had hammered the wheel clearance in the bed down to make the floor flat. It also had additional holes on the side where fenders had been mounted in a higher position. If you see of have seen anyone trying to peddle one recently let me know.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Beware of thieves

Post by Stakebed »

i would notify all the scrap yards within 100 miles of you to keep an eye out for it and let them know it is stolen.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Chris:

If you haven't already done so, I'd file a police report too. If you have any photos of the bed, have them included in the report. You'll need a police report should you decide to claim the loss on your renter's or homeowner's insurance.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Chris,
Is this the second time that you had goodies taken? It seems that you posted something about a year or more ago.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Stakebed wrote:i would notify all the scrap yards within 100 miles of you to keep an eye out for it and let them know it is stolen.

There are 100's of scap yards in Los Angeles. Besides with all the scrap in my yard the obviously only wanted the bed. The unloaded all the parts out of it and left them in the driveway.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Neil Wilson wrote:Chris,
Is this the second time that you had goodies taken? It seems that you posted something about a year or more ago.

It is not the second time. Just the most recent. Sadly stuff disappears from here way too regularly. This is the bed I bought from Neil Mylar a few years ago.
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Post by jungerfrosch »

Hopefully the police care more there then they did when we were living in Columbus, OH.

I was changing out the rear axles on a tandem axle International during when we were moving to GA and some people came and stole some of my brackets for the suspension, along with some heavy bar stock I had. Called the police and they said to call the automated report line as they wouldn't send out an officer and investigate unless it was more than a certain dollar amount.(I don't remember what it was now, it was a big amount) I'm just glad they didn't take more, it would have really messed with moving the truck. I would rather have given them the $30 they got for scrap and saved the hundreds of dollars of parts and metal.

I hope they did not steal it for scrap...if they did there is no chance of catching them(it will be cut up and smashed beyond recognition) and it will be the loss of valuable old truck parts. At least if they steal it and sell or use it the parts aren't destroyed.....little consolation as it is.

Tad
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:Someone came into my back yard and stole the Express Bed for my AA. It was a complete bed but easily identifiable because it had once been a trailer. To make more room inside the trailer they had hammered the wheel clearance in the bed down to make the floor flat. It also had additional holes on the side where fenders had been mounted in a higher position. If you see of have seen anyone trying to peddle one recently let me know.
F'n Hell, Damn Cockroaches!!!!!!!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Chris, Sorry to hear of your resent loss. I was wondering if you are in a rural area or have close neighbors. and are the thiefs day or night. The reason I is, you need to put some eyes to watch you yard day and night when you are home or gone. Harbor freight has some wireless driveway alert system. lot#93068 for $17.99. Hardy anything gets past them. They will pick up around 50". Put up 3 or 4 ,aiming in different directions, toward the house ,barn or shed,otherwise, dog, horse or cow will set it off. I have one on my driveway for last 7 years. very little get past it. won't be with out one. It is some other stuff you will need. If interested in installing this system let me know and I will get into more detail. Less than $100.00 for everything :cry: Shelby, Louisiana.

TAD, You are right about the police report :( :( :(
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

police wont do anything - about as useful as a wet sock with a hole in it when it comes to your stuff (and family usually)

I wish every state was like texas and had castle law where you have the right to protect your property and family with any force necessary including deadly. NO ONE "accidentally" breaks into a house or "accidentally" steals parts out of someone elses backyard... should adopt Saudi Arabia punishment where you loose a finger or a hand if you are caught stealing.

i would also poke around custom hot rod shops and whatnot. it does sound like they were specifically after it, if they wanted the scrap they would have taken all the other stuff in it probably. still

cant hurt to notify the nearest scrap yards to your house. its not like a stolen watch where they can hide it in anything, its going to get noticed fast as its rather bulky and hard to conceal.
fdohnke

Post by fdohnke »

It will probably show up at Turlock or Selma, I'll keep an eye out for it. I have a TT bed we don't plan on using if your looking.

Hope you find theses guys.

Fred
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

fdohnke wrote:It will probably show up at Turlock or Selma, I'll keep an eye out for it. I have a TT bed we don't plan on using if your looking.

Hope you find theses guys.

Fred

Thanks Fred. But I prefer a correct AA bed.
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Post by jungerfrosch »

Do you have any good pictures of the bed that could be used to ID it if one of us sees it for sale somewhere? I know a bed is a bed...but if it's weathered or damaged at all then matching up is possible.

Tad
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have no pictures. But it will be easy to spot. Once having been a trailer I presume things were altered. A second row of fender mounting holes above the stock mounting position. The concave wheel well clearance in the bed had been hammered flat.
Neil may have a picture as I hear he once owned this bed. I bought it from Neil Mylar.