Starter Overhaul on '29 AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KyCliff
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Starter Overhaul on '29 AA

Post by KyCliff »

Hi all,
Started a rebuild on the starter today for the '28 AA. This starter has not been used in maybe 70 yrs. How does the bendix come off the armature shaft? Is it threaded on or just a push fit? The spring, tip and end bolts and shaft key came off just fine but the gear and threaded area the gear rides on doesn't move. any hints, ideas greatly appreciated. I was amazed that the armature and commutator and brushes look great.
cliff
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Re: Starter Overhaul on '29 AA

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Hi and welcome to the form, if you take the bolts out of the spring it should come off. It mit give you a little trouble it been on there for a long time. try some PB blaster on it and a nice little tap with a brass hammer if you have one. I have a 1929 AA CCPU as well. my e-mail address is 1929oldlady@gmail.com or 574-221-1475 in northern Indiana will help you all I can mine is total in pieces. Total restore that Im doing on my own. Had 5 other model A's. good luck.
KyCliff
Body Type: 82A

Re: Starter Overhaul on '29 AA

Post by KyCliff »

Thanks.... I had soaked it overnight with some krano kroil oil and this afternoon it broke loose from the armature shaft... Looks like it will clean up okay.
cliff