rear end rebuild

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
56fire31aa
Model Year: 1931

rear end rebuild

Post by 56fire31aa »

Hi,
I'm rebuilding the bevel gear rear end for my 1931 157wb truck. I bought a gasket set and it has 2 big gaskets for between the two halves. One is .010" and the other is .015". How do you decide what to use? Do I measure my old gasket or is their another way to figure this out?
Thank you,
Steve
rfj52
Model Year: 1930

Re: rear end rebuild

Post by rfj52 »

I AM NOT AN EXPERT BUT THEY SUPPLY TWO DIFFERENT THICKNESSES SO YOU CAN ADJUST THE PRE LOAD ON BEARINGS. IF YOUR JUST REPLACING SEALS YOU CAN PROBABLE USE SAME THICKNESS AS WAS REMOVED. MODEL A WEB SITES MAY HAVE MORE INFO ON CAR REBUILD AND THEY ARE VERY SIMILAR.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Hello Steve,
Do you have a copy of the service bulletins, there is a step by step section on the bevel gear axle, I recommend this book for many questions you may have in the future, the vendors have it, get the soft bound green book, and welcome to the forums.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I haven't been able to find any information on setting up the carrier bearings, the only information
I can find is on setting up the pinion bearings.

Bob
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

I found the break down of the bevel rear end in the service bullentins. Do I need to look some place else on how to completely rebuld this beast with what is available? :roll:
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

spdway1 wrote:I found the break down of the bevel rear end in the service bullentins. Do I need to look some place else on how to completely rebuild this beast with what is available? :roll:
Interesting Question.
The Ring and pinion need a thorough inspection and there are sources to show you what to look for regarding wear and contact patterns, as well as bearing surface wear. If you post hi rez pics or send them to me or someone else on here knowledgeable in diff overhaul, we could give you a good idea what's a go/no go, and what to change.
Diff adjustment is very critical, loose and it's noisy, tight and you will burn it up, right and it's like butter...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org