worm drive swap.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

worm drive swap.

Post by KimVanOrder »

Sirs: I have a low speed rear end with slightly damaged bearing inner races. Also a high speed one with what looks like good races. The break systems are different. One with service breaks only and the high speed with service and E-break. So different yrs. I suppose. Dose anyone have the dimentions of the races? My plan / hope is the swap the single break backplate and everything else to the high speed unit. Will this work?
Thanks in advance for all information..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: worm drive swap.

Post by Neil Wilson »

The initial rear axle design (d1) was without emergency brakes. The housings and axles are longer than the second design (d2) axle with emergency brakes. The worm, worm gear, spider gears/housing in the two axle designs are interchangeable.

Are the races you reference the races on the axle housings for the hubs? If yes, then you will not be able to swap the housing for d1 for d2.
Regards, Neil Wilson
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

If I am following you right you would like to take the backing plates and brakes off of the earlier low speed axle with service brakes only and place them onto the later high speed axle that was designed for the separate emergency brakes. If so I don't think that it would work. Are you missing the backing plates and brake parts for the later axle?
Dave
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Dave: I have the parts. But it sounds like, According to Niel that I can't make a total assembly swap. I'll have to rethink this all and possibly go for the turn down the surface and put on a new repair kit solution. First finish rebuilding the springs, then I'll move on to the axel issue. Thank you both for the information...

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA