Door repair advice needed. ( 82A cab )

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
REM
Model Year: 1930

Door repair advice needed. ( 82A cab )

Post by REM »

I have been looking at one of my doors that will need quite a bit of work.
It needs the normal patch work at the bottom but also has quite a bit of rust damage in the hinge area. It looks like a lot of that edge of the door needs cut out and replaced.
Any tips on doing this? How can it be done and get the hinge holes in the right place? Should I try to patch the whole edge as one piece or just do each area with as small of patch as needed?
Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks Richard
Richard Kinney

door repair 82a

Post by Richard Kinney »

dear REM, i am a 37 year body repairman and cut my teeth on model a's. my most recent resto was a 29 pickup. i do not know exactly what a 82a is, (square cab or late style) but i know 29 doors well. if you need advice on the 29/early 30 type then fire away. dick kinney U.P.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

I saw a couple of '28-mid '30, 82-A closed cab doors which were repaired by a local hot rod shop. They made patch pieces for the hinge areas and welded the pieces in. The end product look great.

I am interested in hearing from Richard how he would go about fixing this area if the door.

The hot rod shop also made patch panels for the inside and outside of the lower door. They said that the patch panels on the market were just incorrect. Any thoughts on this would be of interest.

I think that the shop would make these patch pieces and panels for someone to use. I don't know if they would have to have the door or can just make generic patchs.
Regards, Neil Wilson
REM

Post by REM »

Richard
What I have is the 29 closed cab. Tall cab-tall doors.

Some times I look at the doors and think they won't be worth the effort to repair but then I really think they are not much worse than most others out there. Nothing to lose in trying.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. It will be a while before I get into this project but want all the info ahead of time I can get.
I am by no means a body man ( auto mechanic by trade for 30+ years ) but do pretty well with most projects and have a reasonable amount of patience.

Thanks Richard M