License plates

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bybirius
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

License plates

Post by bybirius »

I suppose this isn't specific to the AA but I thought somebody on this forum would be more likely to know the answer than on other forums.
Does anybody know what the letter at the end of an old license plate number means? The letter is usually smaller than the other characters. I've been told that it has to do with the weight limit of the car or truck but I have no idea.
Mark -Atlanta
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: License plates

Post by Stakebed »

Id imagine it depends on the state and era.

My 29 IL plates are a regular 6 digit number

Modern car plates don't have anything, modern truck plates are usually "Truck B" down the right hand side. This does have to do with the weight. I think a class B is up to 8,000 lbs. IF the vehicle has truck plates on it it is not allowed and will be fined if driven down lake shore drive in chicago - even if its just a small s10.

In IL minivans and SUV's can be registered with car or truck plates, but like i said if a minivan has truck plates it cannot be driven down lake shore.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Post by macswoods »

In Arizona the 1929 commercial plates had a P or S. Stood for solid or air type tires. They were taxed differently. Mac..
bybirius
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

Post by bybirius »

Here in Georgia I've seen the letters D and B. I'm sure there are others. I've never heard of P and S. I wonder what the reason was? Maybe the solid rubber tires were only allowed on certain roads because they caused damage to the surfaces.
Mark -Atlanta
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

bybirius wrote:Here in Georgia I've seen the letters D and B. I'm sure there are others. I've never heard of P and S. I wonder what the reason was? Maybe the solid rubber tires were only allowed on certain roads because they caused damage to the surfaces.
yea, id imagine they would have a steam roller type action while an air tire will flex and give on slightly uneeven surfaces. especially in the spring when the ground is soft.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

bybirius wrote:Here in Georgia I've seen the letters D and B. I'm sure there are others. I've never heard of P and S. I wonder what the reason was? Maybe the solid rubber tires were only allowed on certain roads because they caused damage to the surfaces.
yea, id imagine they would have a steam roller type action while an air tire will flex and give on slightly uneeven surfaces. especially in the spring when the ground is soft. couldnt imagine what a solid wheel truck with a full load going down brick streets in spring thaws would do
stew
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by stew »

In Wisconsin, the letters are to specify a weight class. The Wisconsin State Historical Society has the Wisc. Dept. of Motor Vehicle records for truck registration from 1905? to 1948, cars go much higher. I spent 10 hours going through records on microfilm with the serial number from my truck and was able too find information on the first owner, license number, etc. The kicker was that the business that owned our dump truck new in 1931 is still in business, and they are looking to see if they have pictures from when the truck was new! Hope I can score on that! Maybe the Georgia DMV or Historical Society also has similar records.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

In Mass, During the Model AA time period, the commercial vehicle plates have a "B" prefix.
These are for my AA. :wink:
Attachments
2013-10-16_16-54-45_220.jpg
2013-10-16_16-54-45_220.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Kanc
Body Type: wrecker

Post by Kanc »

I just happen to be a plate dealer. The letter at the end usually is the weight class or use class. Not all states have this extra letter. Mass plates did not use this classification, however most midwest states did. Oklahoma used a small F in the middle of the plate numbers. For more information on a certain state, contact an ALPCA member, or google ALPCA. (Automobile License Plate Collectors Assn.)
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express

Post by Bradshaw »

Not really an answer for your question, but hoping someone will confirm the prefix T
on my 1930 Virginia Plates is for Truck. Since there is a pair, I'm guessing its not for Trailer. Thanks Bradshaw. Picture won't upload.
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Post by blgitn »

I am told T is for truck. I bought a pair of 31's for mine. There's a picture showing the plates on the Clubhouse now.
R/ Roger.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express

Post by Bradshaw »

Thanks! I see you are in West Point. I bought a donor chassis from a fellow over there named Ty Bland. He had several frames, AA and A, and a late 30 or 31 AA stake bed I believe. Bradshaw