Lock ring safety wire

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Lock ring safety wire

Post by njcar757 »

In recent months I've seen 2 issues in Secrets magazine with articles and photo of 20" lock rings with safety wire on then. Here's what they look like, there are 2 pins sticking out of each end of the lock ring and each pin has a hole drilled in it for stainless steel safety wire, probably 3/32" in diameter. If I put them on my truck I would use a small flat plate 1/2" X 1" X 1/8" thick with 2 holes drilled in it to span pin to pin then use a cotter pin to keep the plate on similar to the master link on machine chain.
Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated for the safety sake.
thanks nick c
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: Lock ring safety wire

Post by Reds34 »

I would think that it would throw the rims out of balance quite a bit. I don't think there is a need for safety wire for split rims.

Red
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Post by jungerfrosch »

There really is no need to put safety wire on the lock ring. If everything is in good enough condition to use and the rim is assembled correctly the ring will stay put. If the rim is shot or put together wrong safety wire wouldn't make it safe anyway.

If you really need the added feeling of security I can't see why your idea wouldn't work, but as Red said, you might have to balance, the wheel(if you otherwise wouldn't). There are some really large truck weights out there so getting enough shouldn't be a problem

Can you post a picture from the article....and what is Secrets Magazine? I did a google search...but I'm pretty sure the majority of the links that came have nothing to do with your magazine. :D

Tad
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

I think it's secrets of speed magazine.

Red
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Post by jungerfrosch »

Reds34 wrote:I think it's secrets of speed magazine.

Red
That makes a lot of sense, I've had never heard of the publication before, it looks interesting though.

It also puts the safety wire in a better context. Racing often requires safety wire on bolts that are safety critical components as a safety precaution. For an AA truck (or any truck for that matter) I see no reason to safety wire. On a racecar I would probably agree that safety wire would be a good idea. The wheels are spinning much faster and being subjected to a lot more side loading in turns than I would hope a truck would ever experience.

Tad