1930 Model AA Engine and Transmission Worth

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ChittyBangBangIX
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

1930 Model AA Engine and Transmission Worth

Post by ChittyBangBangIX »

Let me warn you: I'm new to these forums, and to Model AA's.

I have recently obtained a 1930 Model AA Truck. My goal is to make a long-hooded 1920's style racing car out of it, based off of a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sort of car. To do so, I would like to get ANY Straight 8 engine or Aero engine :D

Now I need to sell my Model AA Engine. I do not know how much it is worth. So I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm selling the engine and transmission together.

Engine is ceased, seems complete, has a "Director's Special" heater on it, comes with "Restorable" Zenith carburetor.
The transmission: The clutch engages and disengages perfectly, and should work fine with little work. I'm NOT sure if it is a four-speed or three-speed. Ways to identify it would be helpful.

Thanks guys.
Peter
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Re: 1930 Model AA Engine and Transmission Worth

Post by 1wonton »

Engines are not worth much. If you found someone nearby you might ask $100- $150.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

A four speed has a reverse lockout rod along the shift rod.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

its probably not the origonal engine to the AA anyways. on the drivers side theres a 1" x3" pad with a serial number stamped on it. Usually a star then A or AA then a number then another star. if it starts with AA its an engine out of an AA truck, if it starts with an A then it originally came from a car.

Does it run? Is it froze up? If it runs and runs decent can be worth some but if its locked up dont expect alot. id say 100-150 as mentioned before is probably decent.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Sounds like an interesting build. :)
Last edited by spdway1 on January 16th, 2014, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Post by Jared275 »

Where are you located?
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug

Post by jungerfrosch »

A non-running engine probably 250 or less, assuming it turns freely, if not then $150 or so as others are saying. People have them listed for a lot higher....but then there is no guarantee they sell them either.

I've seen a couple of AA Transmissions for sale for $75......and they've been listed for a while. One is here in NY and the other I think was in Oregon.

Problem you have is that you need to find a buyer close as shipping would cost more than they are worth....that makes it rough to sell sometimes. If you have space to store them inside you can hang onto them a little longer and possibly get a little more.

Where are you located....if you are in my area I would be interested.

I can't help but add my 2 cents on your build.....for the people out there who would love your truck in original condition, please, please, please thick through your build carefully to make sure you have the time, skills, and money needed to complete the project as you desire. I have seen two nice trucks get cut-up and then abandoned as projects. The one got scrapped and the other I believe may have been finished by someone else. I'm not trying to discourage you or say you shouldn't do your build by any means, so I hope you don't take it that way.

That being said your build sounds fun and I would love to follow along with your build if you do a writeup on your racer. If you watch on ebay the straight 8's come up fairly often....and if you are persistent you can get a good deal. I thought about using a straight 8 in a future hot rod at one time, it would definitely stand out.

Tad
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Welcome to the AA forum!
Peter, Where are you located?
How much of your truck is there? Cab, Fenders, bed?

To Some a matching engine/frame number might be worth a trade since you aren't reusing the motor.
JMHO.

The 4 speed has three rails in the top cover facing fore and aft,
4 spd Shift Tower DSCN7597_resize.JPG
4 spd Shift Tower DSCN7597_resize.JPG (168.16 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
The 3 speed 2...
3 speed shift tower b344_1.jpg
3 speed shift tower b344_1.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 9303 times

Thanks you to those whose pics I am re-posting...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ChittyBangBangIX

Hi folks!,

Thanks for the replies!

Dave, thanks to your information, I can now say I have a Four-Speed transmission! :D :P I have located the engine number and it DOES start with "AA". My truck/racer consists of a radiator, chassis, front and rearend, wheels (It's a dually by the way), steering column and engine/transmission. No bodywork except for some front fenders and splash aprons. All four cylinders are ceased. The engine will not turnover and most certainly will not run! I am located in Tennessee. Well to say the least, I was hoping it would be worth more, but hey, that's why I asked! I appreciate, your information everybody and thank you for your help. I was also wondering what some fair/rough condition Budd wheels are worth, I am trying to get my act together so I can get the parts I need to start work on the car. (And to fix my 1926 Model T Fordor!) So if anybody is interested (for a fair price of course!) in some Budd wheels and a Model AA engine/transmission let me know.

Thanks guys! :)
Peter
ChittyBangBangIX

One more thing, if I decide to restore it back into a truck (Which is unlikely, so don't get your hopes up! :twisted: ) where can I find a cab? Looked on Buy and Sell page and there's zip, zilch, none. :| :(

But anyway thanks for welcoming me onto the forums,
Peter
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP

Post by Jared275 »

ChittyBangBangIX,
You would want to search under "Model A" for a cab. The model A and AA shared cabs, but the model A pickup is more popular. Good sites to look would be fordbarn or craigslist.
Regards,
Jared
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Peter, Everyone has asked where are you from, maybe this would help sell your IRON.
Sorry, I was reading to quick....TN! :oops:
Last edited by spdway1 on January 16th, 2014, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

In his second post he said he was in Tennessee.
lookin-backtexas
Body Type: Stakebed

Post by lookin-backtexas »

Peter, twice you have said, "All four cylinders are ceased" and others have continued to ask "if it runs".

The word you are looking for is not ceased but rather seized meaning the engine is frozen or stuck.
If you are not driving your AA truck you might as well be collecting clocks!
ImageImage
ChittyBangBangIX

Whoops! Seems I might have hit a road bump! :oops: :( :shock:

Lookin-Backtexas, Unfortunately I seem to have forgotten how to spell "Seized"! :oops:
Thank you for informing me before I humiliate myself more. :( :roll:

------------
Peter

P.S. Have had a change of heart, and after looking at all of your Model AA's, I have discovered I like them ALOT! So, I am going to try restore my AA hopefully to its former glory.

P.P.S. I measured my AA, and from bumper to tail, it measures at 180''. And just because, I am wondering: I my Model AA a rare wheelbase or not.

Thanks Guys,
Peter