1930's metalurgy

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Cummins
Model Year: 1931

1930's metalurgy

Post by Cummins »

I bought a '31 AA basket case with the intention of installing a larger heavier engine and transmission. (No, not a SBC!!) Looking at the cast steering arms at the spindles I'm wondering if they will be strong enough with the extra weight on the wheels and possibly power steering. Or would I be better off fabricating some new arms from 4140 or equivalent?
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Re: 1930's metalurgy

Post by flatford39 »

I would be more concerned about the front spring and the brakes. The steering arms are the least of your worries..
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

When you say a heavier engine how much heavier?, considering the model A engine and trans is 475# with a 3 speed,--- the 4 speed is much heavier --- the rated payload being 1.5 tons I don't think I would be to concerned about the front spring or steering as long as they were restored properly.
Welcome and keep us posted on your project.
Brian T.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he may want to put a Cummins in his AA. Just a guess though.

Red
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

A straight eight.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Reds34 wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he may want to put a Cummins in his AA. Just a guess though.

Red
LOL
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
rfj52

Post by rfj52 »

I believe all steering components are forged, shouldnt be a problem.
Cummins

Post by Cummins »

I bought an old Dodge truck to donate the power train for the AA. Inline 6 motor weighs around 1100 pounds, 5 speed transmission a couple hundred more. Will need to box the frame, possibly change front spring with a custom unit. I'm fabricating a disc brake system for the front to fit the original spindles and wheels. Rear axle will be a floater from the Dodge, still need to decide on how to reinforce wheels around lugs after opening up center hole slightly to fit over axle. Cab will be slid back about 11 inches with a new hood fabricated. Might have to ditch the intercooler on the turbo, front end space is limited. I've got machine tools and welders in my shop so the project should be achievable.
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Like I said the steering arms are the least of your worries. As someone else here said they are forged not cast.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Pics would be great.
The spindles are strong enough even tripling the weight, the Front leaf spring, the shackles and spring perches will need beefing up, and I would add something to strengthen the front cross-member.
For the wheels, I would use a spacer welded on the outside of the cone (if you are using duals) There was a factory(?) spacer that just fit between the discs at some point, would probably be just right. jmo.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org