plans for a stake bed

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Txturbo
Model Year: 1930

plans for a stake bed

Post by Txturbo »

Anyone have plans or good pics of a stake bed? I think I want to build one for my truck so I can at least haul stuff with it. Its pretty useless like it is now. If not I can draw something up.
JPP
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: plans for a stake bed

Post by JPP »

is this what you want to build?
Attachments
My AA.jpg
My AA.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 9141 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

or somehitng like what someone made for mine? Short boxed in sides with a canvas tarp covering.
yes its a drawing of 2 different angles of my truck back in the late 60's
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

Yes......that first pic is what I had in mind. I have a bunch of treated 4x4s I can use up to build something for it.
JPP

Post by JPP »

Do you have the metal frame for the stake bed and just want to make the rails that go around the truck? I used 6/4 oak for my pickets and 3/4 oak for the slates. The pickets fit the hole in the metal frame, no over hang. The slates are 7 inches wide( buttom slate), 5 inches wide (middle slate) and finally 3 inches wide on top. I did not make them high enough to block the window as I have no need to carry anything that tall. on the back I only have one slate across the back so I can remove it without getting into the truck bed. Tell me if you want more pics and of what.
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

JPP wrote:Do you have the metal frame for the stake bed and just want to make the rails that go around the truck? I used 6/4 oak for my pickets and 3/4 oak for the slates. The pickets fit the hole in the metal frame, no over hang. The slates are 7 inches wide( buttom slate), 5 inches wide (middle slate) and finally 3 inches wide on top. I did not make them high enough to block the window as I have no need to carry anything that tall. on the back I only have one slate across the back so I can remove it without getting into the truck bed. Tell me if you want more pics and of what.
I don't have anything at all at the moment. I would like to find the steel part. I have a flat bed off of a 69 Chevy C50 lumber truck but its at least 12 x 16. Way too big. I might just build the whole thing out of wood.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

if you want to build an all wood bed and be authetic, look up what the russians used on the GAZ-AA in ww2 (ford model AA) they/we used an all wood bed to save on steel resources and shipping weights.

i doubt you will find plans but there are tons of pictures both restored GAZ-AA's and original ww2 photos out there
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

I don't care about authenticity ....I just need functional. I guess my best option is to cut the 10x16 flat bed I have in two and narrow it. How wide is a flat bed for one of these trucks suppose to be? I have the short wheelbase I think, so how long also. I was thinking 8 wide by 9 long or so.
1crosscut

Post by 1crosscut »

You might find this helpful.
http://aafords.com/open-bodies/platform-bodies/
Get in touch with Harry he made his bed from wood and it looks pretty good.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=11348
Dave
Last edited by 1crosscut on February 6th, 2014, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Dave
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

Thanks!
ravakian
Body Type: 88a

Post by ravakian »

I have an oak bed with all the stakes that I have removed from my 30 aa and put on a factory bed now I would like to sell the oak bed.
Txturbo

Post by Txturbo »

ravakian wrote:I have an oak bed with all the stakes that I have removed from my 30 aa and put on a factory bed now I would like to sell the oak bed.
where are you located?
ravakian
Body Type: 88a

Post by ravakian »

San Diego
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis
Model Year: 1928

Post by Harry Lipki »

Txturbo wrote:Anyone have plans or good pics of a stake bed? I think I want to build one for my truck so I can at least haul stuff with it. Its pretty useless like it is now. If not I can draw something up.
Here are pictures of our home made stake bed .. we made the deck and stakes out of red oak and the beams are I believe ash . might cost a bit more for the wood but if properly treated will last a long time ... the side rails were the original side rail from the home made bed that was put on in 1928 ( The truck was originally a chassis ) I made the front rail myself ... just have to be a bit creative when you build yours .. remember to measure twice and cut once .
Attachments
the finished product
the finished product
109.jpg (258.25 KiB) Viewed 8871 times
the beams for under the deck
the beams for under the deck
31 new beams painted and ready for install.jpg (141.24 KiB) Viewed 8871 times
everything pre fabricated and ready to install
everything pre fabricated and ready to install
81 back view small.JPG (67.04 KiB) Viewed 8871 times
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A