Frame origin

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Frame origin

Post by Chris Haynes »

Is there any marking on a frame to determine what plant it originated in?
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Frame origin

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Just me but I used the motor and frame number to determine what plant that it came from.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I read some where that some A s, I don't know about AA s, were stamped with their plant origin on the 1st cross member, the one to the rear of tranny, I have not ever seen one stamped. I don't remember if it was the one in the frame or body cross member. :? Shelby, Louisiana.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

The information on the assembly plants identification and mark location is found here:
http://www.mafca.com/data_aplant_id_numbers.html
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

ModelAkid wrote:The information on the assembly plants identification and mark location is found here:
http://www.mafca.com/data_aplant_id_numbers.html

That is body numbers. There are no body numbers on my May 1930 AA.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

gunmetal 2 wrote:Just me but I used the motor and frame number to determine what plant that it came from.

How do you do that?
*AA3334675*
Build date May 6 1930
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

"That is body numbers. There are no body numbers on my May 1930 AA."

Chris, did you read the article? It has information on both assembly plant identification and body numbers. Actually the number following the assembly plant i.d. does not mean much of anything, it is the plant i.d that is the concern. I have found the plant i.d. stamps on some of my many Model A's but not all of them.

As for assembly plant i.d. by the VIN: sure it gives you the date the engine was built but not the vehicle assembly date nor the assembly plant.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

I read the article
From the article on MAFCA:

"I have undertaken a research project, trying to identify the Model A Ford Assembly Plants and the codes that were stamped into the frames on the bodies of some Model A’s."...

"...The body assembly plant number was stamped into the top of the horizontal front body
cross member, into the body side rails on the floor board level, or into the wooden cross
member on certain body styles such as Cabriolets and Fordors."...

..."Most, but not all, of these numbers contain from one to five letters that denote the
specific assembly plant where the car was assembled."

I read this to mean these "Numbers" are mostly letters, and bore no relation to the VIN we refer to often.
It also seems to indicated that the "frame" he is referring to is the BODY Tin Frame, not the Truck or car frame.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Correct, Spectria, the letters and numbers the article refers to have nothing to do with the VIN numbers. The point of the article is to identify where the vehicle was assembled using the assembly plant identification, when & if they did stamp the vehicle (sometimes) with the identification.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

So after all these years and whatever changes folks might have made to a vehicle, it's not certain that the body ID could Identify the Frame assembly point?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

To answer the original question and put this post back on track - no, there is nothing stamped on a frame indicating where a frame was assembled. I don't believe frames were assembled at all assembly plants (maybe very few). If that is the case, then there was shipping involved for the assembled frames to various assembly plants.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

spectria wrote:I read the article
From the article on MAFCA:

"I have undertaken a research project, trying to identify the Model A Ford Assembly Plants and the codes that were stamped into the frames on the bodies of some Model A’s."...

"...The body assembly plant number was stamped into the top of the horizontal front body
cross member, into the body side rails on the floor board level, or into the wooden cross
member on certain body styles such as Cabriolets and Fordors."...

..."Most, but not all, of these numbers contain from one to five letters that denote the
specific assembly plant where the car was assembled."

I read this to mean these "Numbers" are mostly letters, and bore no relation to the VIN we refer to often.
It also seems to indicated that the "frame" he is referring to is the BODY Tin Frame, not the Truck or car frame.

Great information. If your frame has a body, which mine doesn't.