AA Headlight conduits

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

AA Headlight conduits

Post by Matt »

Did the 1929 AA use tar coated conduits??

Matt
spdway1

Re: AA Headlight conduits

Post by spdway1 »

Sorry, I remain corrected.... :oops:
Last edited by spdway1 on February 16th, 2014, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lookin-backtexas
Body Type: Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by lookin-backtexas »

Pretty sure that later AA's had headlight conduits like a wire loom with heavy coated woven fabric material; not metal. My original '31 AA has them. The Judging Standards say "Observe the condition, end ferrules, size and finish on metal conduits encasing wiring to the headlights and horn. The early 1928's had a smaller diameter with a smaller fitting to the headlight. 1928-29 conduits were nickel plated. Most 1930-31 AA's with black radiator shells have conduits of black lacquered woven material with stainless ferrules. The conduits on 1930-31 Deluxe models were stainless steel."

Here's what Snyders sells: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/1912
Fred

If you are not driving your AA truck you might as well be collecting clocks!
ImageImage
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the help.

Matt
markp213
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by markp213 »

I always wondered about them too and have seen original ones as Fred stated, but don't recall what year truck they were on. From what I have seen, the majority of Ford factory photos clearly show the stainless headlight conduits on the 1930/31 AA's with the black radiator shells and headlight buckets. I have only come across a couple of photos, so far, actually showing what looks like they could be using the black conduits - hard to tell. These are original photos from Ford, or from the era, not restoration photos. I haven't seen any good quality original photo's of the 1928/29's.

I'd like to know for sure as well.
Mark P.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Matt, your 1929 AA would have had the "A" conduits.

There is a 10 page article about AA lamps and wiring in the 2011 Double A'er newsletter. The following is from that article:

per the Judging Standards, starting August 1930 the head lamp and horn conduits for AA and A commercial vehicles were a black woven, non-metallic loom design with stainless steel bushings and ferrules. I have found one 12/17/30 Ford archive photograph which shows these non-metallic conduits being used. Two other 12/30 archive photographs show the stainless steel conduits still being used.

Prior August 1930 the AA and A commercial vehicles used the "A" conduits.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1930

Post by Hayslip »

The 8/18/1930 Indianapolis Ind. Ford Service letter page two states the non-metallic glossy black finish conduits are used on commercial types with a BLACK radiator shell.
Hayslip