Spokes

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Spokes

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Has anyone had much expirence straightening the spokes on spoke wheels ... I have quite a few bent ones and was trying to come up with a good way to straighten them ... Any pointers would help
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Re: Spokes

Post by macswoods »

I have a slide hammer with a hook on the end ,on model A wheels . Mac...
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Never thought of that good idea
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Look in Mac's catalog, The sell a unit that uses bolts to push the spokes straight. I made one and it works great. No slidehamer knocking the spoke loose.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I made a spoke straightener about 25 years ago to use on the model A spokes. I used it again a month or so ago. It straightened the spokes to where you could not tell they had ever been bent. I'll go to my shop and take a couple of picture, you may want to make one for yourself. I would be causious of using a hammer it could streach the spoke and make it worst. :) Shelby, Louisiana.

I made this with 5/8" shaft about 3" long Drilled a hole for the spoke (the size for spoke to fit. Then ground out and opening to slip over spoke, then cut a piece if 1/4" x 1" angle to cover top of grove for spoke, next I placed a spacer above the grove the thickness more than spoke size. clamped it and welded together. Next I drill 3 holes in line with grove and tapped 1/4" 20 :) Shelby
Attachments
new folder 004.JPG
new folder 004.JPG (99.65 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
new folder 003.JPG
new folder 003.JPG (137.74 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Post by Hayslip »

If the spoke is pushed in towards the hub I usually place a small piece of oak between the hub and spoke and pry with a small wrecking bar. If the spoke is bent sideways I just hit it with a hammer. I never use any heat and don't think heat is needed or recommended.
Hayslip