wiper.....

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
truknut
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1928

wiper.....

Post by truknut »

Can anyone tell me the length of the wiper blade on a '28 AA? I saw the info somewhere, but, can't recall where. Thanks in advance.

Rick :?
lookin-backtexas
Body Type: Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: wiper.....

Post by lookin-backtexas »

Rick:
The judging standards indicate . . . "Hand wipers were standard equipment on commercial vehicles through April 1930. Two different manufacturers supplied hand wipers to Ford, Trico and Williams. Both brands used two layers of 1/32" thick black or red rubber in the blade. The Trico blade had the manufacturer's name and patent dates stamped in block letters. Blade length was 8" for passenger cars and 11" for the closed cab trucks. Hand wipers were finished in gloss black enamel with a nickel plated knob and a nickel plated tubular rivet (7/32" head diameter) holding the blade to the arm. The arm was longer on closed cab trucks, 7-3/4" versus 6-1/2" long on passenger cars. These wipers attached directly to the windshield frame with the shaft passing through it. The blade was demountable, so when it wore out, the entire unit had to be replaced."

Lots of words to answer your question but there is probably some kernel of knowledge that other readers might glean from this. The short answer to your question is 11".

Fred
If you are not driving your AA truck you might as well be collecting clocks!
ImageImage
truknut
Body Type: stake
Model Year: 1928

Re: wiper.....

Post by truknut »

Thanks, Fred, I appreciate the info. I knew I read this before, but, needed to know sooner than searching for it. I picked up a pair of blades, one is nine inches, the other is ten inches long. I presume these are later T wipers, but, the ten incher will work for now. THanks again for the clarification.

Rick :D