emergency brake are bushing?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
hattrick
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1930

emergency brake are bushing?

Post by hattrick »

I have a 1930 AA. There is a large steel bushing that attaches the emergency brake arm to the shaft that goes through the backing plate. I could not get the pins out as they were completely froze. I tried soaking in kroil and heat with a torch. I ended up cutting the bushing off. I have not seen any at the resellers for AA parts. The pins that go though this bushing are offset by 90 degrees. Does anyone know where these can be purchased or does anyone have one they can part with. I am also wondering if these are the same on a model A as they are on a AA?
34bb1.5
Body Type: BB-189
Model Year: 1932

Re: emergency brake are bushing?

Post by 34bb1.5 »

I ended up doing the same thing you did... cut it off. I believe you are looking for part #BB-2637? "Connection" I finally found my new NOS ones on Ebay after a very long time of looking. (It took a few years of looking) I do have a couple sets of used ones which I took 3 frames which I stripped over the years. The frames were either a 33/34 BB. I believe the parts fit years 28-37. I will look for them when I head out into the shop today. I can send you a set if they are ok to use.

Scott
Tenants Harbor Maine
1934 BB 131" Stake Bed
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - The connector in the attached photo connects the two levers.
Attachments
AA Emergency Brake - 31 parts q8.jpg
AA Emergency Brake - 31 parts q8.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by hattrick »

Thanks for the reply. I was able to cut mine off and save the shaft. Would you be willing to part with just one of the couplers? Also it looks lik eyou might be able to buy the pins from snyders but I am never sure on those parts which are the correct ones. I did some searching of this forum to see if anyone has posted a diagram of the AA brake system showing all of the parts and their names. I have the supplemental AA restorers guide but the pictures are poor. The Brattons catalogue has the breakdown of the rear A brakes but not the AA. Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Scott,

You live in Tenants Harbor? My cousin lives there too, her husband works for the boat line in Port Clyde. Sorry for the hijack.

Red
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Does anybody have pic of the pin. Mine was connected with bolts and nuts.
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The pin is #73889-S7 3/8"x7/8" flat head clevis pin
34bb1.5

Post by 34bb1.5 »

Connector  Pin.jpg
Connector Pin.jpg (163.21 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
Attached is two pics showing the Connector/sleeve part # BB-2639 was used on trucks 28-37. Depending on which catalog you look at, the pin used could be 51-2639 or #352581-s7 (5/16"x1.40 flat head) as I have shown in the pics attached or Pin#73889-s7 as was stated in the above message. The problem the Pin #73889, it's diameter is too large for the connector. (3/8" diameter) Plus the pin is too short to be flatten in place or for a cotter pin as one catalog states.

Just curious....My truck had connector pins once installed were flatten out to make the pin / connection permanent . If I make sense of one catalog, It's states the pin also had the end drilled out for a cotter pin? which was it? Different for different years?

I was told by a person who use to work for Ford, that the older the catalog the better. Find a parts catalog as close to the year of your vehicle. The catalog's were updated all the time and info in a way got washed out. Later part superseded older ones. Later parts weren't quite the same as older ones etc...

Pin #51-2639 /352581 was also used on the clutch fork arm. The pins are still available through Mac's and an Ebay Seller that goes by the Seller's name of 1935fordtn. I just purchased 6 NOS pins from him.

Did I just confuse everyone? I too am trying to make sense of the parts and the catalogs

Scott
Attachments
Pin.jpg
Pin.jpg (178.92 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Scott, After looking further in the 32, 37, and 48 parts books I am totally confused.
I looked at four rear axles I have and they all had 5/16" pins with cotter pins.

Bob
34bb1.5

Post by 34bb1.5 »

Bob.
I was told by the former Ford Engineer that what might be in the catalog may not actually was used on the assembly line. That might explain the difference. Could the parts written in the Catalog have been what was used later on at the dealership?
Over the years, if I was looking for a part I had to look through multiple chassis parts books etc. to actually figure out what I need. One catalog will tell you one thing, while another will say something else. I have one chassis catalog for the Ford Canadian Production, five catalogs for the US production and one from England. Between them, I usually can figure it out.

Scott
hattrick

Post by hattrick »

Scott,
My 1930 AA had cotter keys through the connector. I just wish that I could have been able to get the pins out after the cotter key was removed. I ended up cutting the connector off as I explained at the start of this thread. Thanks for all of the info.
34bb1.5

Post by 34bb1.5 »

Something to think about..

How about putting a little bit of "Neversieze" / Permatex Anti-seize lub on the Connector before you slide it on. Same thing for the 5/16" pin and cotter pin.
That should take care of tying to remove it later on if you ever need to.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Thank you for the pic, that will help a great deal.