Which radius rod would you use?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Which radius rod would you use?

Post by Stakebed »

Long story short the picture of the black one is the original to my truck. As you can tell its worn (badly? i dont know what a badly worn one looks like...) and my original plan was to just use that spacer washer the parts houses sell.

Recently on a model A parts getting trip i came across a better radius rod and couldn't pass on the price. I can detect just some slight wear on it.

So my question is to run the black one with a spacer washer or replace the radius rod with my newly acquired one?

black one:

new one
1929 AA boy
Body Type: AA

Re: Which radius rod would you use?

Post by 1929 AA boy »

Just my opinion here -I would use the new one you have because it looks like there's less wear ... Especially if you plan on driveing it regularly
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by captain marty »

I would use the best one as you do want control of your front end. It will also help stabalize your drive.
I was very happy when I brought mine back to good shape. It doesn't wonder all over the road any more.
Marty
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

thats what i felt too but thought id ask. taking a load of assorted car parts to the sandblaster, figured id have him do it all too.
manyolkars
Model Year: 1930

Post by manyolkars »

Want to know how bad the wear is on the ball?
Take a washer of the right size and rotate it around the ball.
Low spots show up right away.
This is also how you check as you build up with weld and grind back to original size