My AA1844760 June 1929

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt
Body Type: 76-A
Model Year: 1929

My AA1844760 June 1929

Post by Matt »

Is their any way to find out which Dealership my AA went to when new?

Who bought it new?

When was it last registered?

A lot of my friends say its hopeless since so many were built. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot
Matt
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: My AA1844760 June 1929

Post by ModelAkid »

This subject comes up often and no one seems to have found any records of where cars were shipped or to what dealers. Many cars were assembled at assembly plants all over the country, so the best you can hope for is to find the code letters for the assembly plant on your vehicle. That will tell you the part of the country where the vehicle started out and probably shipped to a dealer not too far away.
The assembly plant information is posted on the MAFCA website.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

By The Way, I assume the serial number you gave is the engine number. Do you know if that is the frame number? Not very many A's have original engines. The real number is the frame serial number, which is supposed to match the engine but won't if the engine was replaced. If the number you gave is the engine number, that engine was manufactured 6/28/29. If it is the original engine, the truck was assembled sometime one to 3 months later.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Probably a good chance the the engine number will match the frame as the engines were usually swapped out with a car engine with only one A in the serial number.

Dave
------------
Dave
Matt

Post by Matt »

That's the number on the frame and my fuel tank date is 6/28/29.

the engine is not original, it was built May of 28.

Matt
gunmetal 2

Post by gunmetal 2 »

My 1929 CCPU has Engine # 1955916 Cab date is 8-30-29. Mine was built at the Rouge plant and was made on a Friday. My Truck is a AA commercial truck
gunmetal 2

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Matt if your A was made on the 6-28-29 That was built on a Friday.
Matt

Post by Matt »

thanks for the information. I want to know as much as possible.

Matt
stew
Body Type: dump

Post by stew »

I have been very lucky finding a needle in a haystack in regards to tracing my 31 AA dump truck. I live in Wisconsin, and last year I found out that the Wisconsin State Historical Society has Wisc. Dept. of Motor Vehicle records for trucks from 1905 - 1948 and cars from 1905 up much farther. Maybe the Ohio State Historical Society has similar records. With only my serial number to go on, I searched thru the state records for 1931 on microfilm, and after 10 hours of searching, I finally found my truck. I was able to find out the original license plate number, as well as the name and address of the original owner, and GVW for the registration. It turns out the truck was originally purchased in a city about 20 miles south of where I live. I googled the original owners name, and city and state, and was amazed to find the family still has an excavating business running by that same name. I contacted the business and talked with the owner, explaining to him my research and interest in locating the original owner. He said his grandfather or great grandfather (I don't remember) bought the truck new at the local Ford dealer in their home town. More amazing, he has since contacted me and says his family has pictures of the truck when it was new!!!! I am hoping to meet with him this weekend at a local car show, and hopefully get some more info and early photographs of my truck. It has been in our family since 1968, restored in '69 and was to several National Model A shows in the midwest in the '70s. Most recently shown at Oshkosh,Wis. at the 2012 National Show and received a MARC of Excellence award there. I am waiting to get pictures of the truck when it was new, and put them together with pic's of it now, and forward them on a disc to Neil Wilson to put on this site or for use in his newsletter.
Always one bad decision away from a good time.
stew

Post by stew »

Continuing on with my last post...... This was a total shot in the dark for me to start searching thru the state records with only my serial number. If the truck had not been purchased new in Wisconsin, it would have been a complete waste of time for me, but then the thrill is in the hunt, right? I figured the truck was most likely originally sold in Wisconsin, since we have owned it since '68 and it was bought on an estate auction, where the farmer have many early tractors, steam engines and implements, and had all these items, along with the truck, stored in buildings on his farm for many years. I thought it couldn't have travelled far from its original home, and luckily. I was right. When I have time, I'm going back to the Historical society, and continue to trace its ownership and license plate numbers thru 1948, the last year the Historical Society has registration information for trucks. I hope I can be so lucky as to discover that we would be the third owners, but its wishful thinking. My next goal will be to locate and obtain the original license plates....... talk about a long shot!
Anyway, Matt, maybe this will give you another avenue to consider. Best of luck to you!
Stew
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Ya never know what could still be out there. Give the original plate number on here and someone could have it or see it at a swap meet lol.

I'm not sure what Wisc does for antique vehicles but in IL you must buy antique plates and have them with the vehicle at all times and be able to present them if requested by law enforcement (meaning they can be under the seat or "glovebox" or in the trunk and dont have to be displayed) BUT we can display front and rear YOM (year of manufacture) plates. So my 1929 AA i can put any ol 1929 plates (not sure if they even have to be for IL...) but i cant put plates from 1978 on there. Now i highly doubt any officer would care (their pretty lax and antique car/motorcycle guys themselves) if i put 28 or 30/31 plates on there as long as it looks like the era.

If Wisconsin is similar see if someone can replicate the plate number and make "fake" old plates to display them on your truck using its original plate numbers.
stew

Post by stew »

OK Steakbed, here goes.... The license plates I'm looking for are;

Wis 30 - 31 D - 23341
Wis 31 - 32 D - 9747

The plates do not say 'truck' on them. Sometime in 1930 there was a change and truck license plates were issued in a 'fiscal year' format which would have went from a July to June cycle. Cars continued to expire on a calendar year basis Jan-Dec.
Wisconsin tried a year of manufacture registration once, but it only lasted a couple of years, too much hassle for the DMV. Here you can register with regular plates, 'Antique - only for parade use, etc.(=useless) I think this is limited to pre-war' Collector - buy once for the life of ownership and cannot be operated Dec & Jan must be more than 20 years old, the 2 month prohibition of use is an attempt to keep these from being placed on 20 year old beaters for daily use.
Thanks,
Stew
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

One of the few things California government does right is the YOM plate program. If you can find a pair of original license plates for the year of your antique vehicle you can register them with the DMV and use them. Sometimes the number on old plates is currently in use on a motorcycle plate or something, then you can't use it. Also the plates have to be in good condition. Thats why a nice, useable pair of say 1931 original CA plates sells for about $300-400 now. CA makes you pay extra for the privilege of supplying your own plates. You just add a paste on tag for the current year.
When I lived in Illinois I told our state representative, who is a lawyer, that IL law allows antique autos to display old license plates that are not even registered to it. I suggested he look into the CA method of registering them. He did not believe me that the law allowed unregistered plates to be displayed, it seemed too stupid, he ignored me.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

ModelAkid wrote:One of the few things California government does right is the YOM plate program. If you can find a pair of original license plates for the year of your antique vehicle you can register them with the DMV and use them. Sometimes the number on old plates is currently in use on a motorcycle plate or something, then you can't use it. Also the plates have to be in good condition. Thats why a nice, useable pair of say 1931 original CA plates sells for about $300-400 now. CA makes you pay extra for the privilege of supplying your own plates. You just add a paste on tag for the current year.
When I lived in Illinois I told our state representative, who is a lawyer, that IL law allows antique autos to display old license plates that are not even registered to it. I suggested he look into the CA method of registering them. He did not believe me that the law allowed unregistered plates to be displayed, it seemed too stupid, he ignored me.
id rather have it the way it is. matching plates are cheap as thier purely garage art or esentially vanity plates, regular antique vehicle plates range from like $30 /3 years or 50 a year but no restrictions besides no drving from november to march. either plate can get thrown in the car while displayign the correct year plates. much cheaper and less stress worrying about if the plates clear the DMV let alone finding a matching pair in good shape.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

"id rather have it the way it is. "

Of course I can understand that. Before I escaped from the State Where The Governors Make The License Plates I ran around in my '31 roadster with a pair of '31 plates hung on it. I figured if I ever got stopped I would have to prove to the cop what the law is on that, so I carried a copy of the statute with me. I never got stopped for that but other times in IL I had to educate the cop on what the law is.