"Engine vs Motor" - let the debate begin!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

"Engine vs Motor" - let the debate begin!

Post by elfox »

This topic was originally started under the buy/sell forum, but decided to continue it here in a more correct forum...

I have heard many people debate this topic. Personally I believed that a motor was electrical and an engine was, at the most rudimentary, a device that converts thermal energy to mechanical energy (steam engine, internal combustion engine). I decided to do some research myself to see which is correct. Please note that I was wrong in my previous definition.

From Wikipedia, the disambiguous definition for Engine:
"An engine is a device that converts potential energy into mechanical work." It may also refer to: heat engine, internal combustion engine, external combustion engine, Carnot heat engine, Stirling engine

The Wikipedia definition for Motor:
A Motor is a device that creates motion. It usually refers to an engine of some kind. It may also specifically refer to: AC motor, DC motor, Electrostatic motor, Engines, Servo motor, Starter motor, Stepper motor, Actuator, Hydraulic motor, Rocket motor, Molecular motor, Nanomotor, Pneumatic motor

From Dictionary.com:
motor
mid-15c., from L. motor, lit. "mover," from movere "to move" (see move). From 15c. as "controller, prime mover" (in reference to God); sense of "agent or force that produces mechanical motion" is first recorded 1660s; that of "machine that supplies motive power" is from 1856.
With explosive use 20c. as a comb. form of motor-car (1895). Motor-boat is from 1902. First record of slang motor-mouth "fast-talking person" is from 1971.

So from what I've read, I believe a motor is any device that causes motion -- in the case of vehicles, this could be either an electrical motor or an internal combustion engine. Regardless of what's 'under the hood', that power source is called a motor, since it is causing motion of the vehicle. I guess I need to learn to accept that it is correct to call that thing under the hood a 'motor' and stop 'correcting' people! :)

On an interesting side note, I also tried to find the first internal combustion engine, which appears to be one powered by gunpowder :shock:
17th century: Christiaan Huygens designs gunpowder to drive water pumps, to supply 3000 cubic meters of water/day for the Versailles palace gardens, essentially creating the first idea of a rudimentary internal combustion piston engine.

Let the debate begin! :lol:
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A

Re: "Engine vs Motor" - let the debate begin!

Post by macswoods »

Why not!
Last edited by macswoods on May 2nd, 2014, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brady
Body Type: None
Model Year: 1930

Post by Brady »

I think it's just a case of DMVs not being capable of spelling the word ENGINE ...
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

macswoods wrote:WHY ???
I agree...
:arrow: Get out of the HOUSE and drive your AA!! :mrgreen:
elfox

Post by elfox »

Wow - the only reason I did this was to try and clarify something that was being discussed in the last four threads of another 'hijacked' topic. Your comments are offensive.

I see you changed the previous thread to be less offensive. Thank you.
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Dave, it seems that when you posted the official definitions of the terms, there was nothing left to "debate".
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Since this forum is about Model AA Fords only I suggest using the terminology and spelling that is used by Ford in the Ford Parts Price List.
Hayslip
elfox

Post by elfox »

Hayslip - Sounds like a good idea. I was trying to do two things with my original post 1) Move the already in-progress debate to another thread before I commented, and 2) Share with others what I had found out. But I agree - to use the terminology that Henry laid out is more appropriate for this forum. Since I am away with work right now, what terminology does Henry use in the Ford Parts Price List?
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

elfox wrote:Wow - the only reason I did this was to try and clarify something that was being discussed in the last four threads of another 'hijacked' topic. Your comments are offensive. I see you changed the previous thread to be less offensive. Thank you.
elfox-Dave, I support you on this, some don't need to bully other posters with their remarks... if the shoe fits, where it, if not, throw it out...
or as John Lennon said, "Let It Be"...
Last edited by spectria on May 2nd, 2014, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Using Henry's terminology is a good idea. Add to the Ford Parts Lists terms: Ford Owners Manuals and the Ford Service Bulletins.
(that would also end the question "is it a wheel or a rim")
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

My AA actually has two motors. One to start the engine and the other to wipe the windshield. ;-)
Roadster AA
Model Year: 1928

Post by Roadster AA »

Post on the BS forum. Not the AA forum!
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Roadster AA wrote:Post on the BS forum. Not the AA forum!
You got that right, most here thought the BS artists and ego trippers would go to Facebook, even the Pied piper doesn't show on either Forum any more.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

BrianT wrote:
Roadster AA wrote:Post on the BS forum. Not the AA forum!
You got that right, most here thought the BS artists and ego trippers would go to Facebook, even the Pied piper doesn't show on either Forum any more.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org