'30-'31 Gas tankcleaning

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

'30-'31 Gas tankcleaning

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I was cleaning 30-13 gas tank, soaked it with molasses for 2 months after patching (almost) all the holes. I tied it to a big iron wheel. Added 2 gallons of pee gravel and 2 gallons of Muriatic acid. First rotation a hole near top of tank that I did not see or patch. Instead of using my heavy soldering iron that had to be heated, being in a hurry I picked up my torch. Needless to say I had to start on repairing another gas tank. I've cleaned it with baking soda bath, then muriatic acid then baking soda bath. Using a different method to rotate the gas tank I mounted the gas tank on top of my cement mixer. I added 1 1/2 gallons of pee gravel and 2 gallons of muriatic acid, put on a sealed gas cap and turned on the mixer for 1/2 hour, then rotated the tank in the opposite direction. then tilted the tank so the inside top would also get cleaned with pee gravel and acid. I've got pictures of the process that I used. I 'll post them as soon as I find my camera. Tank looks great inside :D :) Shelby, Louisiana.
Attachments
DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN0080.JPG (134.59 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
DSCN0078.JPG
DSCN0078.JPG (135.62 KiB) Viewed 8729 times
spdway1

Re: '30-'31 Gas tankcleaning

Post by spdway1 »

Thats Different.
NOW the million dollar question....What tank sealer are you going to use if any??

Did the all gravel come out or are some pieces lodged inside?
Did all surface get cleaned?
Attachments
tank1.jpg
tank1.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:I was cleaning 30-13 gas tank, soaked it with molasses for 2 months after patching (almost) all the holes. I tied it to a big iron wheel. Added 2 gallons of pee gravel and 2 gallons of Muriatic acid. First rotation a hole near top of tank that I did not see or patch. Instead of using my heavy soldering iron that had to be heated, being in a hurry I picked up my torch. Needless to say I had to start on repairing another gas tank. I've cleaned it with baking soda bath, then muriatic acid then baking soda bath. Using a different method to rotate the gas tank I mounted the gas tank on top of my cement mixer. I added 1 1/2 gallons of pee gravel and 2 gallons of muriatic acid, put on a sealed gas cap and turned on the mixer for 1/2 hour, then rotated the tank in the opposite direction. then tilted the tank so the inside top would also get cleaned with pee gravel and acid. I've got pictures of the process that I used. I 'll post them as soon as I find my camera. Tank looks great inside :D :) Shelby, Louisiana.
Very ingenious...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

The sealer that I wanted was POR-15 gas tank sealer. He said he would get it, turns out he got Macs gas tank sealer. Which I sure it will be fine. Surprising, most of the sand and rocks washed. I can hear one or two dropping as I rotate the tank. I took the gas gauge out ,Removed gas cap filled tank 'til water started running out then turned on the mixer letting the water run into the tank and flushing out the gravel. I thank I did a good job on washing out all the gravel. I can't see any rust, But I will double check that and make sure that there is no sand or rocks inside. The gas tank is all that is lift for repairs before painting the whole car. I made a video of the process but can not get in to post. May be to big to post.
I'll keep trying maybe I'll get it to post. :D Shelby, Louisiana.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I was planning on using POR-15 gas tank sealer. It turns out that the sealer that he got is the better one. I've been out of commission since I posted the other day. Today I had to start from scratch, cleaning and patching holes. Got to the gas tank cleaner and etch :o that stuff is really a very good rust remover and metal prep. I'll see tomorrow above the metal prep how it works. I left my shop at 9 pm.tonight with some of the top of tank. I spilled some gas tank cleaner and etch on the outside of the tank. It removed the rust flash back from the soda bath as it ran down. so after I drained the cleaner and etch from the tank I used some to remove the rust from the right side of tank. did nothing else. I'm curious as to what it will look like in the morning. The sealer that I'm using is the BILL HIRSCH GAS TANK SEALER KIT. Here is their web site and the metal etch. It works much better than muriatic acid and no harsh odors and it has a metal prep in it. check this out http://www.hirschauto.com/prodindo.ash?number=RR This is the very best metal cleaner,etch and prep all in one that I have found :D :) Shelby, Louisiana. try http://WWW.hirschauto.com miracle chemical products

I'll post a picture tomorrow of the results :roll:
Attachments
Shrlby's pictures 073.JPG
Shrlby's pictures 073.JPG (137.99 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

No body must not have problems with their gas tanks have rust and holes. no one has came out to talk about their problem I made a torch that really works great and is very inexpensive less that $20. IF any one is Interested I will post pictures of it and tel how I made it. 8) Shelby, Louisiana..
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:No body must not have problems with their gas tanks have rust and holes. no one has came out to talk about their problem I made a torch that really works great and is very inexpensive less that $20. IF any one is Interested I will post pictures of it and tel how I made it. 8) Shelby, Louisiana..
Shelby, do you know if the etch kit would leave a surface ready to paint, or is there residue that needs removing after the etch?

The left side of that tank looks great.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Yes it leaves a residue,I hope it is paintable for that is what is inside the tank to paint and seal. Look at their products. They can explain it better than me. I really like this product for there is no rust flash back like the metal prep. This was brushed on and left over night. Shelby, Louisiana.

Dave it leaves a gray phosphate coating on the metal to provide an excellent base for painting :wink:
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on May 26th, 2014, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPP
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by JPP »

Shelby, I have holes to patch, please post tool instructions..Thanks.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

JPP, Thanks for your reply. There are a couple things I need to know First is the gas tank still in the truck, IF, second about how many holes do you have. If still in truck and you are not going to remove the gas tank. The company i listed above seams to have a very good gas tank patch or repair kit. The muratic acid and sand cleans the inside very good,with the c. mixer only run about 30 mins. then rinse with water 'til most of sand is out add baking soda and water to kill the acid. Check for any leaks, repair as needed, The etching the I mentioned above really works very well,and the sealer is very tough. To solder with as propane torch all fumes must be out of the tank. soldering with a torch it is easier to remove the tank from the truck, bottom-up also use soldering flux before you ad solder. In the picture you will see 2 pencil torches alike. One I removed the filer plug, drilled it and tape to 1/8 pipe thread,screwed in an adapter and attached a hose, the other end to a propane bottle through a regulator. for only a few holes you could use the pencil torch stock. I got my pencil torch at Harbor Freight #4169 for $8.99 If you have any questions let me know! :) Shelby, Louisiana.
Attachments
DSCN0480.JPG
DSCN0480.JPG (136.18 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I used the same mixer technique, but I use nuts and bolts instead of gravel with the acid. They can be extracted easier by using a magnet. Steve.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Nuts and bolts would be ok. But there are some close areas inside that the nut an d bolts can not pass where the sand would go easily. Also a vacuum cleaner will get the sand out better than a magnetic on the nuts and bolts. I got every grain of sand out. :) Hope your job turns out as good as mine did! Shelby, Louisiana.

I tried to post a film of the operation in action but won't stick :( :( :(
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express

Post by RustydoubleA »

Vacuum, what a great idea, I did 4 tanks several years ago but my next one will be with sand! Thanks, Steve.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

No second thought, sand will do the best job. As the tank rotates the sand rubs the surface as it slides along. The acid is breaking down the rush as the sand slides over the acid soaked rust it wipes all the rust that has dissolved. This really does a great job in cleaning. The nuts and bolts would seem to tumble instead of sliding :D Shelby, Louisiana.
rsierk
Body Type: 185-B

Post by rsierk »

C'mon Shelby, you cannot know that you got every grain of sand out, unless you counted them before and after! If you managed to vacuum every corner of every baffle, you must have had a very elaborate sequence of bending the vacuum tube that you used, and X-ray eyes to know where it was operating, and that you passed by every corner and crevass. JMHO