32 BB

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
DAN CHALMERS
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

32 BB

Post by DAN CHALMERS »

I know this is an AA forum, but I'm looking for a long shot!!!. A friend just dropped off a 32 BB serial #5161682 with a destroyed head. I'm told by a middle man who attempted a repair that the head had been froze and completely destroyed. he chucked it.My friend knows that I have a 31AA and that I might help him get it back up and running. It is an Anthony hyd. dump and there are several big differences between mine and his. Some questions
1 Will a 29 head adapt to a 32 block if I use the 29 water pump? dist shoud drop in with maybe a change in shaft length
2 Can anyone identify the month with serial #5161682. My numbers stop at Mar 32- 4,849,340.
3 I'm thinking Mac's might have info on Ford 32's and newer or maybe even new heads??? Will ck it out
If any one has input beyond this it would be greately appreciated. Can e-mail me at danchalm@myfairpoint .net if you would prefer. Thanks all in advance Dan C.
P.S. I know that i'm thinking way outside the box hoping the block is not cracked as well. will ck that out tomorrow.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: 32 BB

Post by Reds34 »

I'm not sure if an A head would work. I think you need to plug a hole in the head to use a B head on an A. You could look on Fordbarn, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys on there about that kind of stuff. A lot of other supply houses have parts for b engines, so don't limit yourself to Mac's.

Red
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Looks like Oct 1932

Bob
DAN CHALMERS

Post by DAN CHALMERS »

thanks Reds34 and Bob
good info's. the bolt pattern looks the same with exception of forward 2 bolts aren't long enough for 32 pump. 32 mounts on front of head, 4 bolts 31 of course is ontop of head with much longer bolts.
Thanks for the Oct 32. Is that in a newer parts catologue?
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Lots of A and B info, including engine numbers, on Vince's site. http://www.fordgarage.com/

Bob
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

I have a 32 BB with an A head on it, so it can be done. I also have several extra B heads ( marked with a "C" ) if you can't find what you need . Steve
JPP
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by JPP »

I have a BB head and I am in Massachusetts.
DAN CHALMERS

Post by DAN CHALMERS »

thanks for the replies. I think I have found a BB woodsbuggy close by (40 miles). Will go look at it this week. If it is not what I can use, I certainly will my get back to forum sources. Will let you know Dan C.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

It would be surprising if the head were ruined by freezing but not the block. Blocks usually crack along the left upper side first, or the front. Also check for water in the crankcase indicating internal cracks. I cannot think of any reason to put a Model A head on a B engine. B engine heads are common. They are marked with a big "C" cast in them. Heads with a big "B" are rare original optional accessory high compression Model A heads.
Let me know if you need a restored '32 B water pump & fan, I just picked one up. They were only used one year; '33-34 B water pumps are different (shorter because the radiator is closer to the engine).