Parade frustrations

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Imnangell
Body Type: Fire truck
Model Year: 1930

Parade frustrations

Post by Imnangell »

I am venting to the only people who would understand. I pulled the fire truck out for a very sick person. It ran so well, I thought the truck would be fine today. Now that I am within a few hours of the start of the Memorial Day parade, it has decided to stop running. It's acting like a 2-year-old having a temper tantrum. Aaaarugh... I am going to win!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.23 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Imnangell

Re: Parade frustrations

Post by Imnangell »

I won.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (128.85 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

Post by markt »

I like your truck... glad you won :D
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Love your truck. Let me guess: something stopped the fuel flow?
You need a AA front bumper for that, either the standard single bar or the deluxe accessory chrome plated AA double bar.
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

We found a retiree who remembers driving the truck to active fires. His coment was "I was 19 when we drove that over stone walls to fight brush fires. I am surprised it still runs." I love it. I have been so careful driving it around, then to hear stories like that. I also found out why it does not have its original engine. It was destroyed fighting a fire. Apparently, the engine begins to glow red when pumping water.

As for the bumper, I was told this is the way it looked when it was active. It has been painted and the engine was rebuilt since wing retired (back in the 70's). Also, there is a picture from the 1940s that shows the truck with the bumper and the shinny grill.

I did ruin a tire on the way to the parade. I have been meaning to replace the tires, but now I have a reason.
Imnangell

Post by Imnangell »

I forgot to mention why it stopped running. It developed a fuel leak while I was leaning out the carb (with the choke control). It then was running rough and I richened the mixture. I then found and repaired the leak and it flooded really bad. I had gas everywhere. So much so, that I was afraid to start it. I let the gas evaporate and poof, the problem was gone.
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

The single bar bumper was available in Nov.1930 according to the Ford Service Bulletins page 510. If your fire truck is earlier it would have the bumper that's on it. Most Jan.-Nov.1930 trucks have your bumper. The double bar example with a single clamp in the middle and wider bars is very hard to find. Your radiator shell is an A item. The AA version is wider for and aft and does not have the widow's peak. My advise: get the truck in reliable mechanical order and don't worry about the other issues. Best, Ed
Hayslip
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Hayslip, you are right, the single bar bumper which is the one I almost always see on the later AA's did not come out until 11/30.
Anybody interested in buying a complete deluxe double bar AA bumper assembly?