AA Radiator

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
corsair
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

AA Radiator

Post by corsair »

I'm helping a friend with an inherited 1929 AA Truck that is in need of a new radiator and water pump. I've been total that the AA truck takes a different radiator then the standard Model A and that the truck radiator is a 5 tube? The original radiator is still in the truck but has several leaks and appears to be very corroded. We would like to have the original radiator recored if this is possible and if not a new replacement of the correct type. We're located in Northeast Michigan so if you know of anyone in our general area that performs this service please advise us. Also we would like to replace the water pump with a new "leak proof" type if someone could recommend a good one to purchase. Any helpful advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Radiator

Post by Bob C »

Berg's is probably one of the best. They have new radiators or they can recore yours.
http://bergsradiator.com/home.html

Bob
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

corsair wrote:I'm helping a friend with an inherited 1929 AA Truck...
Any helpful advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
Welcome to the AA Forum!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

According to the Judging Standards for AA's, they used the same radiator as A's in 1928-29. It was in 1930-31 that a special, larger radiator was supplied with AA's. I suggest you read the Judging Standards Area 3 (Cooling) for details on original radiators. There were 4 manufacturers each with some differences, also there were some changes made during production for those 2 years. More than half of the 28-29 A's & AA's that I have seen do not have original radiators, they have aftermarket replacements. The replacements are easy to spot as they do not have the hooks for the hood.
It should not be difficult to find a good original 1928-29 radiator, at a price that is less than a new repop.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

In April 1930 they came out with a four row radiator for the early style truck but it
used the same shell as the three row.

Bob
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

My Early '30 has a four core radiator.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Judging Standards, p. 3-2, 2011 revision:
All radiators up to July 1929 were made by Ford, with 4 rows.
Starting 7/29 Ford starting also using radiators made by Flintlock, McCord and Long. All these had 4 rows of tubes except McCord which had 5 rows. However, McCord radiators had the fewest number of tubes at 87. Ford & Long: 94 tubes; Flintlock radiators had 100 tubes. 1928-29 radiators had round tubes, 1930-31 A & AA oblong tubes.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal 2 »

I would like to say welcome to the Forum and if there is anything I can do to help, ask. I have a 1929 CCPU with platform bed that Im restoring. It in many pics right now. I have taken lots of pic before, cleaned up, and primer, to the finish. My name is Terry my e-mail address is 1929oldlady@gmail.com or 574-221-1475. I live in northern Indiana. So if I can help, get a hold of me.
SteveK535
Body Type: AA Flatbed Dual Axle

Post by SteveK535 »

Welcome! While we are on the topic, the AA radiators from Brattons, Mac's, Brassworks, Snyders... are they all the same manufacturer and these guys are simply distributors? I'm likely in the market for one and was wondering what the feedback was on the particular ones available. My truck, unfortunately, has an A radiator that ain't cutting the mustard. I just found a good AA shell so I'm thinking hard about a radiator now to go with it.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I am considering an aluminum radiator in what will once again be my daily driver AA. Have it black anodized so it doesn't stand out.
SteveK535
Body Type: AA Flatbed Dual Axle

Post by SteveK535 »

Who sells them, Chris?
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

SteveK535 wrote:Who sells them, Chris?
I see vendors at swap meet that cater to the hot rod world with them. I have asked if I could get one with the original type inlet and outlet for a Model A and they say yes. Mattson's Radiator is the vendor I talked to.
http://www.mattsonscustomradiator.com/vintage-ford-cars
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I just replaced the Radiator in my 28 AA. Got the new one from Sniders. My old one was reworked by "East End Radiator" in Holland Mi. They did a good job but I just wasn't getting enough cooling. Then after many cleaning efforts I think I removed all the gunk that was stopping up the holes. So a new one was purchased. For the 28 My understanding is it is a regular A radiator. 3 rows of tubes. I didn't spring for the heavy duty unit as I'll just be driving in parades, etc.. Mine fit in perfectly, hooks for hood Etc..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Kim, go back and read what I posted about original radiator specs. If you had a radiator with 3 rows of tubes it was not an original radiator. Maybe that's why it would not cool enough.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

ModelAkid wrote:Kim, go back and read what I posted about original radiator specs. If you had a radiator with 3 rows of tubes it was not an original radiator. Maybe that's why it would not cool enough.

That would explain why I had issues. They are all gone now with the new three row and fan shroud. Thanks for the info. 100 % Original mine is not, But fun to work on and drive..

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA