1928speedometer cable

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Wickstop
Body Type: Unk
Model Year: 1928

1928speedometer cable

Post by Wickstop »

I need help locating a source to purchase the inter cable I have the outer flexible tube. The speedometer has a square hole. Also how does the inter cable connect at the drive tube. Some type of sketch or book would help.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1928speedometer cable

Post by spectria »

Wickstop wrote:I need help locating a source to purchase the inter cable I have the outer flexible tube. The speedometer has a square hole. Also how does the inter cable connect at the drive tube. Some type of sketch or book would help.
Welcome to the forum, I am searching for a recent thread on this here, brb...

here is one, try searching from the search box above:
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic.ph ... eter+cable
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
njcar757
Body Type: closed cab
Model Year: 1929

Re: 1928speedometer cable

Post by njcar757 »

I originally posted the question back in Feb. 2014. I couldn't find the right drive cable for the job. I ordered a new outer conduit with the new inner drive cable included. I got it from Mac's, part # 28-25072-1 cost $62.50. My truck is a 29 AA, with an oval speedometer.
carry on nick c
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Speedometer casing and shaft

Post by Neil Wilson »

It is unlikely that one can find a speedometer shaft of the correct length for a given case, speedometer head, drive gear, and gear bearing.

The following is from my April 2007 article in the Double A'er:

Nine casings from 1928 through early 1930 AA trucks were checked for length. None were the same length, none were 81” long, and the lengths ranged from 80” to 82-1/2”. It must be that the casing length was changed over time without new part numbers being assigned (indicating the parts were backward compatible). However, for service, the AA-17260 casing and shaft assembly would have to be ordered rather than ordering just one of the individual parts. Otherwise, a miss match in part lengths would result.

Also in this article is this paragraph regarding having a speedometer shaft made to fit a give casing:

When a new speedometer shaft is needed for an original AA speedometer case, it needs to be made by a shop which specializes in this service. The shop will need the speedometer head, casing, speedometer driven gear, and speedometer driven gear bearing. This also allows for a shaft to be made for a miss match of speedometer head and speedometer driven gear (example – an oval speedometer and a square ended speedometer driven gear).

I got a shaft made up at a shop in Denver many years ago by providing the parts above.
Regards, Neil Wilson