Holy Cow, Buckwheat's alive!!!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Buckwheat
Model Year: 1930

Holy Cow, Buckwheat's alive!!!

Post by Buckwheat »

Buckwheat lives!!!

While I search for bearing to finsh my rear end rebuild, I decided to start on the engine next. This truck was rumored to have been started 2 years ago, but had been sitting outside for those last 2 years. We drained all of the deasel from the crankcase and poured in fresh oil, rigged a temporary gas tank and lines, cleaned the plugs and ran a set of jumper cables to my riding lawnmower. My neighbor was manning the "under the hood" controls and I was inside the truck holding the cables on and pushing the starter button. Despite a pretty good gas leak we hit the starter and that thing jumped to life!! I mean it never turned over, it just started right up!!

We killed the truck quickly(no water) and celebrated while we waited the next 5 minutes for the smoke to clear, That deasel in the cylinders creates alot of smoke,,,,I mean a lot of smoke. Once the smoke cleared and my neighbors house became visible again , we filled the radiator and "no leaks". Now I guess it is on to cleaning and sealing the gas tank and start scrounging for tires and we will be able to ride around the yard...

I know this doesn't contian any technical iformation, but I thought I would share the success story to encourage others.........

Buckwheat
Richard Kinney
Model Year: 1930

It's alive?

Post by Richard Kinney »

:( hi buckwheat, glad to hear your recent sucess with the motor. after the way you told that one i wish i was there to wittness it. i havent been in a deal like that since me and dad tried to fire one up on the floor, out of the frame. it took fire right away too but we knocked it off cause we blew the case right off the 6 volt battery from sparks off the cables. glad to hear you got away with the fuel leak too. oh by the way, since you broke it in on diesel fuel, dont you think ya oughtta mix about 10% in every time you gas up? well i done enough damage for now........gees i'm glad im not your neighbor. dick kinney, congrats