Spare tire carrier bolt size

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Spare tire carrier bolt size

Post by blgitn »

All,

What's the thread size for the bolt that holds up the spare under the frame? (anybody got an extra?)
I looked in the April 2012 Newsletter but couldn't find the info.

Thanks for your help.
R/ Roger.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Spare tire carrier bolt size

Post by Neil Wilson »

See http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1000-wheels/#wn for threads on the jam nut. The swivel bolt is a part of the assembly (attached with a rivet). So, it is unlikely one would find only the swivel bolt.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hi Neil: Followed the link to the AA wheels and just saw the "F-18" discs. I had two of those on the rear of a doodlebug that I gave to a friend. Are they a rare or sought after item ?
blgitn
Body Type: 275-A
Model Year: 1931

Post by blgitn »

Thanks Neil; I was looking in the wrong place.

The one I need is 5/8" X 18.
R/ Roger.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Brady,
The 18" AA wheel would be rare as I believe very few were ever sold. I have never seen one myself.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Thank you Neil: I hoped not to steal the thread, but the subject was close. I'll contact the guy with the doodlebug and tell him to take good care of those wheels. I remember that they had some big fat tires on them, and that the wheels are "butt-ugly" to look at. Best regards...
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

hmm i may know where 2 of those 18" oddball one opening wheels are... No idea what condition (mounted to a 30/31 AA frame with tires still on em sitting in the weeds) if their useable or not. I know for absolutely sure they are convex and have at least one opening where the valvestem is. I seem to want to remember 2 openings same size but opposite of each other like modern trucks sometimes have but i could be wrong. I didn't pay too much attention as im looking for 28/29 parts and was looking for 29 concave 6 hole rims at the time but i do remember how odd looking they were and reminded me of the GAZ-AA (russian ww2 ford aa truck) front rims. I cant say what diameter they would be.

i plan to make a trip out that way (about 2-3 hr drive) would anyone want any measurements or would like to buy them off me(or trade - love trades)? Shipping will suck but i can remove the tire if need be (wont guarantee anything about useability condition) I will get pics at the very least...