Inner Race

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Inner Race

Post by captain marty »

After setting one of my front inner races into place I flipped the wheel over and the race fell out. It was tight going in. Question: Without spending too much $ on it, has anybody had the inside of the wheel machined to raise bits, so that the race might hold in place and be snug?
Marty
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Inner Race

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Marty, You can tighten the race very easy and will be as good as bringing it to a machine shop. Here is what to do,(come back to this forum and let everyone know if this works for you thats all I ask) Take a center punch and a hammer , Make small punch marks about 1/4" apart through out the bearing seat in the hub. Probably take about 15 mins. :) Will be as good as new and bearing race will not spin in the mub! Shelby, Louisiana.
captain marty

Post by captain marty »

Thanks Shelby, I will give it a try. I've done this type thing before with other things. The old race must have been spun a lot.
Marty
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Marty, you never said if you were using the bold race or a new one. A machine can knurl it for a tight fit. If you go to a machine shop bring a new race and have them install it for you. Good luck :) Shelby, Louisiana.
captain marty

Post by captain marty »

Shelby: I purchased all new races and bearings to do my front end. When I put the new races in, I used a Loctite cylindrical retaining compound, don't remember the number. I tried removing the race in question this morning and it would not budge. I plan on going ahead with packing the bearings and assembling the uints and will go with it and check the race at my next grease packing.
Thanks for the help,
Captain Marty
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

The punch technique coupled with loctite can't be beat...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Marty, Loctite will work fine on its own. You should not have a problem with loctite. I have used it over the years being I worked in maintenance for 50 years. Keep on TRUCKIN :D Shelby, Louisiana.