lights discharging 18- 20 volts

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mike c
Model Year: 1930

lights discharging 18- 20 volts

Post by mike c »

hi there... i recently put on a new rebuilt gen and the diode.. cutout. in my 1930AA .. i set the third brush to charge 10 amps..when i turn on the lights... amp meter shows 8-10 amps discharge.... i soldered a ground wire from light sockets to a bolt that i put in light buckets... no change.... any probably cause ideas out there
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: lights discharging 18- 20 volts

Post by ModelAkid »

Do you have stock Model A bulbs in your headlamps, or some kind of more modern replacement that uses more power?

Does the generating system work as it should when not using headlamps? How many amps are going to the battery right after starting the truck, with moderate engine rpm's?
mike c

Post by mike c »

i honestly don't remember if the bulbs are 32-32 or 32-50.... i bought them several years ago from snyders... before i put on the new gen and switched to the diode cut-out...it used to draw 10 amps when using the lights... the new gen is set at 10 amps and charges fine without the lights on........would the 32-50 bulbs draw 18 amps? heck...i just noticed i typed 18-20 volts (instead of amps) in the header caption -- opps
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

I don't know anything about cutouts other than original equipment. I'm pretty sure two 50 watt bulbs plus the tail lamp could easily draw 20 amps. I have found that an original equipment electrical system just barely manages to keep the battery from discharging when the lights are on high beam.
So how much discharge does the ammeter show when the lights are on and the engine is not running? Then how much discharge when it is running?
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Re: lights discharging 18- 20 amps

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Mike, you can go back in and edit the 18-20 volts and change it to 18-20 amps if you want :!: Shelby, Louisiana.
Last edited by SHELBY MESSER on July 20th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike c

Post by mike c »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Mike, you can go back in and edit the 18-20 volts and change it to 18-20 amps if you want :!: Shelby, Louisiana.
mike c

Post by mike c »

hi....the truck discharges 20 amps (or more, it pegs the gauge) when i turn the lights on without starting the motor.... with third brush set at 10-12 amp charge, when the truck is running with lights on, amp gauge shows -8 discharge..... when i first start the truck, gen charges 10-12 amps..... i have not had any lights burn out, and with the last gen and regular points style cut-out, the lights would draw about 10 amps ,, gauge would show +2 charge. when running.. ps-- (same bulbs as now)
how do i edit the 18-20 volt caption above?? thanks mike
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Look at my post above :) it says amps and so does this post :) LOOK to the lower right side of your post there is a small box that says EDIT click on that, then go up to volts and change to amps. That is all it is to it! Keep on truckin. Shelby, Louisiana.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Mike, maybe you are losing current due to some shorting in the switch box at the bottom of the steering column.
Take the halves of the switch box apart and see if the gear oil in the steering gear box has leaked into it. This can cause a short. Suppliers sell a part that will easily cure this problem permanently.
Either your generator/cutout are not generating enough juice or there is a short somewhere. You could also try disconnecting one lamp at a time and see what that does. Is there any problem when you have the headlamp switch over in the left position?
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Mike, I don't know if you have checked all your connections to the frame or any others that might have hidden corrosion. Any voltage drop or loss through a connection will cause higher amperage draws.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
mike c

Post by mike c »

good advice,,, when i turn park lights on it discharges a little.... if i take out one headlight bulb-- it discharges about half as much - 9-10 amps total..when i get some more time i'll start checking more grounds and the switch at bottom of steering column... the other day i loosed the can on the horn and put 2 drops of oil on the rear of shaft..... now i'll be motoring down the road and the horn starts blowing steady til i undue the wires.....next time i hook up wires it's fine for a while then the horn takes off blowing steady........ good thing i love this old truck or i might get discouraged.. mike
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

I think you have a problem with your voltage regulator (cutout). If you can borrow another one somewhere I would swap it and then see how the lights are working. The fact that even the parking lamp position results in a discharge means you are not getting enough current generated.
As for the horn, it works when the horn button provides a ground to the horn motor. Somewhere you have a short in the ground wire. This is not uncommon. The short is likely in the switch box at the bottom of the steering column or the horn button/rod assembly in the column.
mike c

Post by mike c »

i should say with gen charging 10 amps,,, ampmeter shows +3 with the parking lights on....
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Your problem seems to be with the generator or regulator/cutout. Like I said, try another cutout and see if there is a difference. If no difference the generator is not working properly. If you belong to a local Model A Club chapter I'm sure the other guys can help you with that.
mike c

Post by mike c »

so, i put on a new points cut-out and no difference.... at the output post of cut-out is 8.3 volts....which is 8-10 amps.. is it possible my lights just new a total of 18 amps to run?? that's minus 8 with gen set at +10... mike