Missing Something?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TheFlyingQuail
Body Type: AA Anthony Dump Body
Model Year: 1929

Re: Missing Something?

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

Thanks to all for the advice. All back together and ready to go.
Bryan
1929 Model AA
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

TheFlyingQuail wrote:Thanks to all for the advice. All back together and ready to go.

I am faced with the same problem. What did you do??
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

There seems to be a lot of confusion of where seals go and what they do.

On the worm-drive rear, the AA-4245-AR axle seal keeps the gear lube in the rear end housing where it belongs. These get replaced from the inside, just like the regular Model A axle seals do. The wheel bearings run on grease, lubed through the grease fitting from the back side of the brake backing plate. The 1175-AR grease retainer keeps the grease from leaking out the rear of the hub. When I pull a wheel hub off, I support the the axle shaft with a jack-stand too so it doesn't distort the axle seal inside the axle housing if it wasn't leaking. If it was leaking I replace it.

The '30-'31 bevel gear rears had the AA-4245-D axle seal installed in the end of the axle housing tube to keep the gear lube in the rear. This was a better design as you could replace the seal from the outside by just pulling the hub/drum assembly off and removing the key from the axle shaft. The wheel bearings on this style get grease from the grease fitting on the outside of the hub (near hubcap). The 1175-B keeps the grease in the hub for the wheel bearings.

Keith
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:There seems to be a lot of confusion of where seals go and what they do.

On the worm-drive rear, the AA-4245-AR axle seal keeps the gear lube in the rear end housing where it belongs. These get replaced from the inside, just like the regular Model A axle seals do. The wheel bearings run on grease, lubed through the grease fitting from the back side of the brake backing plate. The 1175-AR grease retainer keeps the grease from leaking out the rear of the hub. When I pull a wheel hub off, I support the the axle shaft with a jack-stand too so it doesn't distort the axle seal inside the axle housing if it wasn't leaking. If it was leaking I replace it.

The '30-'31 bevel gear rears had the AA-4245-D axle seal installed in the end of the axle housing tube to keep the gear lube in the rear. This was a better design as you could replace the seal from the outside by just pulling the hub/drum assembly off and removing the key from the axle shaft. The wheel bearings on this style get grease from the grease fitting on the outside of the hub (near hubcap). The 1175-B keeps the grease in the hub for the wheel bearings. Keith
Thank You Keith, this is what I tried to convey via photos that show what production was intended to be... of course some statements could be inaccurate, like removing and plugging needed zerk fitting to grease axle bearings.
Last edited by spectria on July 24th, 2014, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Thank you Keith for your post.
My point was to not make assumptions without the facts, the inner seal seen in the bevel axle pics does not exist, the housing was not machined for one, (I have the production drawing) so anyone disassembling a differential not knowing this is in for a big surprise, that's why it is best to use the search feature here for advice.
It has also been discussed here that some pictures in the SBs are design drawings and are not for final production, in addition vendors sometimes have parts from there supplier who had the wrong specifications, I have received parts that have the correct part number but no way would fit, again don't take the vendors word as gospel, follow the doers here that are real restorers.
spectria

Post by spectria »

BrianT wrote:Thank you Keith for your post.
My point was to not make assumptions without the facts, the inner seal seen in the bevel axle pics does not exist, the housing was not machined for one, (I have the production drawing) so anyone disassembling a differential not knowing this is in for a big surprise, that's why it is best to use the search feature here for advice.
It has also been discussed here that some pictures in the SBs are design drawings and are not for final production, in addition vendors sometimes have parts from there supplier who had the wrong specifications, I have received parts that have the correct part number but no way would fit, again don't take the vendors word as gospel, follow the doers here that are real restorers.
Yes, use the search feature.
spectria

Post by spectria »

BrianT wrote:The area you have circled is the path that the grease travels between the shaft and the housing and around into the bearing from the zerk fitting above the back plate, best to remove the zerk and plug it,
( this was not one of Henrys good ideas ).
Make sure the grease catch cup is cleaned out and its drain hole is clear, and that the differential oil level is just below the fill plug, if its over full it is most likely came from the transmission.
There is another way grease can get to the brakes, there is another zerk fitting near the latter one mentioned, this feeds grease to the brake shoe camshaft, do the same remove and plug it.
I would not remove and plug the zerk fittings needed to refresh your axle bearing grease.