Missing Something?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
TheFlyingQuail
Body Type: AA Anthony Dump Body
Model Year: 1929

Missing Something?

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

While inspecting my rear brakes I noticed a lot of grease splattered around and on the brake shoes. Am I missing a seal where the axle protrudes from the diff? Or is the seal part of the wheel bearing on the brake drum assembly? Thanks.

Bryan
1929 Model AA
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Re: Missing Something?

Post by gunmetal 2 »

There should be grease on the bearing, but in your hub there is suppost to be a seal to hold the grease in not all over ever thing. In your hub there is the bearing and then after that is the seal. If you look at the hub the seal should be the first thing you see.
TheFlyingQuail

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

Thanks for the reply. I did clean off the bearing race of grease and the hub has the seal. It seems there should be a seal pressed in at the end of the bearing race where the axle shaft comes out. You can see in the photo that grease or rear end lube is dripping out under the axle and the axle is free floating. None of books have arrived yet so I do not have a parts breakdown of this area.
Bryan
1929 Model AA
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Attachments
AA4245ARD-8708-xl.jpg
AA4245ARD-8708-xl.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 7624 times
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

if you have a worm drive the seal is pressed in from the worm side. the later ones press in from the outside.

that area is supposed to be open, think about how the grease zerk would lubricate the wheel bearing: grease goes in the zerk squishes around the axle squishes out of the end and starts comming back around to get to the wheel bearing where its stopped by the wheel bearing grease seal.

there is a cutaway diagram around here somewhere.
TheFlyingQuail

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

Bob, thank you. Glad I popped the rear drums off to check things out.

I do have the worm gear.
Bryan
1929 Model AA
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

TheFlyingQuail wrote:While inspecting my rear brakes I noticed a lot of grease splattered around and on the brake shoes. Am I missing a seal where the axle protrudes from the diff? Or is the seal part of the wheel bearing on the brake drum assembly? Thanks.
hub-&-axle-seals.jpg
hub-&-axle-seals.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
Page 411 1930 January crop 1d.jpg
Page 411 1930 January crop 1d.jpg (369.56 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
The New Ford Truck 12 crop.jpg
The New Ford Truck 12 crop.jpg (170.62 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
TheFlyingQuail

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

Dave, Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I needed to see.
Bryan
1929 Model AA
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

If you need pic of any thing e-mail me at 1929oldlady@gmail.com or call 574-221-1475 My truck is like yours all in pieces [total restoration]. My pic have to high of resolution to post them on the forum.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

TheFlyingQuail wrote:Dave, Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I needed to see.
Bryan,
The pics are not for the worm drive differential, there is a hub seal, AA 1175 AR and maybe an inner seal there suppose to be a small packing O ring that fits in the void between the shaft and the drum, there is confusion in the venders list as to what is correct, PM me if you need more info.
Last edited by BrianT on July 20th, 2014, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectria

Post by spectria »

TheFlyingQuail wrote:Dave, Thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I needed to see.
The pics indicate where seals are located for AA axles, but as BrianT mentioned these pics as labeled are for later ring and pinion rather than your worm and worm gear axle. the part #s are close but not the same for worm vs banjo style diffs.
Most suppliers indicate a seal in the axle tube near the axle bearing to keep diff oil out of the axle bearing and brake area, and to keep bearing grease in place.
There doesn't seem to be a current image of the AA Worm Drive schematic showing seal locations..
Maybe someone can share by posting here?
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Using those pics for the bevel axle seals has caused much confusion, it is well noted on this board that the inner seal has never been found in the axle tube, and most often the seal at the end of the axle tube doesn't exist, it is only the hub seal AA 4245 D that is needed, there maybe a seal in the axle tube in the worm drive axle, it is not worth the effort to replace,
spectria

Post by spectria »

AA Truck 1928-29 Axle Seal AA-4245-AR
AA-4245-AR-m.jpg
AA-4245-AR-m.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
Axle Seal 1928-29. These seals go inside the rear axle housing and keep the rear end oil from leaking on the brakes.

Even if you didn't ever see one in the axle tubes, they belong there.
TheFlyingQuail

Post by TheFlyingQuail »

I believe I have the answer to my question.This is the area I was concerned about. I am assuming the inner seal is there but I am not going to take the axle apart to find out. Not sure why there is grease in the brake area but I will clean it up as best I can and get it back together and check it again as I put some miles on this truck.

This drawing of the worm drive rear shows no seal in that position. (highlighted white area)

It seems that the inner hub seal provides the seal from the brake drum side.

Bryan
1929 Model AA
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

The area you have circled is the path that the grease travels between the shaft and the housing and around into the bearing from the zerk fitting above the back plate, best to remove the zerk and plug it,
( this was not one of Henrys good ideas ).
Make sure the grease catch cup is cleaned out and its drain hole is clear, and that the differential oil level is just below the fill plug, if its over full it is most likely came from the transmission.
There is another way grease can get to the brakes, there is another zerk fitting near the latter one mentioned, this feeds grease to the brake shoe camshaft, do the same remove and plug it.