frame numbers

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

frame numbers

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, attached are pictures of the numbers from a 28 AA frame that I have. Note that the numbers are composed of 3 different heights of characters. At the factory there was a person that transposed the engine numbers to the frame. Do you think that he had a hand full of stamps and when one stamp wore out he replaced the stamp with what ever was available? Maybe the truck was stolen for bootlegging and the numbers were changed? Anybody else notice these inconsistencies with frame numbers? That's my drive shaft extension that I made to adapt A car axles under a 131 1/2" wheelbase AA frame. When I wish to enjoy the full feeling of an AA I drive it in underdrive! Also, there is a long (longer than 103 1/3") wheelbase 1928 closed cab Model A (not AA) flatbed running around my town with car axles and a long car drive shaft and long car frame, anyone know anything about those trucks? Steve.
Attachments
28frame1.jpg
28frame1.jpg (283.31 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
28frame.jpg
28frame.jpg (237.9 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: frame numbers

Post by Neil Wilson »

The number 1, 8 and 3 don't look like the character design as shown in the Judging Standards (page 1-2). My guess is that the numbers are re-stamped.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

You can see the scratches in the frame where the numbers were removed with a body grinder.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

The "A"s should be the same size as the numbers, and all numbers the same size. Very sloppy job restamping the serial number.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Some time back there was a discussion on Fordbarn regarding why the chassis numbers were stamped where they are and not where they can be seen, under the front body block, I suggested it was for anti theft, which makes sense, its a big enough chore lifting the body just to look at it, let alone raising it up enough to grind off and re stamp --- as per my signature --- nothing is fool proof as fools are ingenious bastards.
I often wonder how many were stamped wrong, you can bet there were a few with hangovers on the line, you can imagine a few fingers getting hit --- cuss words --- and dropped stamps etc.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

The factory number stampers simply did not have number stamps like the ones shown in the photo.
As for frame number location, good question! It seems rather useless to have a serial number where it cannot be seen without major dismantelling. In 1932 Ford started putting the frame number right in front of the front body mount, where it could be easily seen. Based on that fact, one could assume Ford decided it would be better to have the number visible.
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

That frame has a hydraulic brake master cylinder and metal brake lines going to the front and rear.

What kind of brake backing plates are being used and what do the wheel cylinders look like.

Your posting indicated that your truck has a passenger car rear end. Can you post photos of the rear end and the way it is mounted to the chassis.

Dose it have a passenger car front end under it with early V8 model hydraulic brakes, which could explain the master cylinder.

Can you post photos of the outside of the brake backing plates to show the mounting of the wheel cylinders.

If you remove any of the brake drums to inspect the brakes, please take photos of the brake parts and post them.

I like the idea of hydraulic brakes on the AA. I'm sure others are interrested in the parts that were used on your truck.