4 speed shifter tower leak

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

4 speed shifter tower leak

Post by RustydoubleA »

The only oil leaks that I have in my 4 speed transmissions is through the shifter rail bores in the transmission tower. The rails act as a pump and with every shift a few drops of oil gets pumped out of those bores. Also I had a puzzling situation with my doodlebug, which is always parked outdoors, and having no cover over the cab water would fill the transmission. Thinking the water entered through the shifter lever, I spot welded the reverse lock-out lever in the up position and then sealed a boot around the bottom of the shifter. The doodle bug has a stock gas tank/cowl and full stock hood. The next year I checked the transmission oil and I had to drain water out! I now believe that water was dripping on top of the bell housing and entering the shifter bores on the front of the tower. I removed the oily crud build up on the bellhousing step just under the bores (acting as a ramp to channel the water) and cover the cowl of the truck when it rains, no more water in transmission oil. Steve.
Attachments
trans.jpg
trans.jpg (303.62 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: 4 speed shifter tower leak

Post by BrianT »

Steve, PM me your e-mail and I will pop you a cheap fix for that shift rail leak.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

BrianT wrote:Steve, PM me your e-mail and I will pop you a cheap fix for that shift rail leak.
Why not tell all of us?
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

It looks like you're missing the pin for your radius ball felt.

Red
BrianT
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Chris Haynes wrote:
BrianT wrote:Steve, PM me your e-mail and I will pop you a cheap fix for that shift rail leak.
Why not tell all of us?
PM sent