shocks yes or no.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: shocks yes or no.

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yes, '28/'29 AA's had front shocks (same shocks as the A). And yes, the shock arms are unique to the AA as well as the front spring purchases.

No front shocks on the '30/'31 AA's.

No rear shocks on AA's except as follows:

The following is from my article in the Double A'er (April 2014 issue):

The April 3, 1931 Indianapolis Service Letter indicates that, rear shock absorbers “are being listed as standard equipment” on the 270-A Funeral Service, 275-A Funeral Coach, and 280-A Ambulance. Based on this wording, it must be that these rear shock absorbers were not provided on these body types prior to April 1931.

This service letter also indicates that these rear shock absorbers were available for service on any AA 131-1/2” wheel base when a softer ride was desired. It was required that the 12” longer, 13 leaf, AA-5558-E rear spring and the 78" long AA-5253 tail pipe must be used with these rear shock absorbers. It was also require that the truck must not be overloaded.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

Shocks for looks only..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Post by Reds34 »

All model "AA"s had shock absorbers. They were called passengers. I don't ever recall riding in an AA, but I know my '34 is a rough ride and that has express springs on it.

Red