shocks yes or no.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1930artdeco
Body Type: n/a
Model Year: 1930

shocks yes or no.

Post by 1930artdeco »

Hi All,

This will be my first question on the forum. I t more than like will be dumb but hey I am just curious. When I was at the National show, I noticed that none of the AA's had shocks. I have three possible answers I just need to know which one is correct.

1) They are scarce as hens teeth like they are for the cars.
2) They never did come with them
3) They would not work on the truck as the springs are to stiff. I.E. You need a heavy load in the bed to smooth out the ride.

Mike
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: shocks yes or no.

Post by Chris Haynes »

The only AAs that had shocks were the funeral and ambulance models in '30/'31. Front shocks only. Yes they are rare as hens teeth.
BrianT
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

Hello Mike and welcome,
#1 Yes they are scarce, finding shocks that can be restored would be about 4-5 out of 20, repair kits are available, and new shocks are also available on a limited basis.
#2 The 28-29 AAs came from the factory with front shocks only, they used a smaller spring for those years, most were never replaced and were taken off, would not do much good in the rear with the heavy springs.
The funeral and ambulance chassis had longer and fewer spring leaves in the rear which were much softer and I believe shocks front and rear.
Last edited by BrianT on August 5th, 2014, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

Front shocks on 28 AA's Neil can verify the dates & when the stopped installing them , they require a special spring perch with the ball to attach them
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

My march of 29 had them. one must have died long ago as it was disconnected and tied with bailing wire to the frame rail. other was still connected but frozen as can be.

id imagine they were taken off the AA's when they went to the wider front spring in 30.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1crosscut »

Keep in mind that you will need to find the longer shock arm for the AA's. The arms for the cars are too short.
I've seen shocks on the AA's until mid 29 ish.
Dave
------------
Dave
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

My 29 8-30-29 still had front shocks.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

All 28/29 AA's with the narrow front spring would have shocks , when they changed to the bigger axle and spring they no longer had shocks
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

According to the original parts manual, all Model A's & AA's used the same shock absorbers except the special 1931 models with rear shocks.
The front 28-29 shocks did have special arms but the shocks were same as cars.
I have a bunch of used shock absorbers in various conditions for sale. If anyone needs some shoot me an email. I do not have any of the 1931 AA rear shocks.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

ModelAkid wrote:According to the original parts manual, all Model A's & AA's used the same shock absorbers except the special 1931 models with rear shocks.
The front 28-29 shocks did have special arms but the shocks were same as cars.
I have a bunch of used shock absorbers in various conditions for sale. If anyone needs some shoot me an email. I do not have any of the 1931 AA rear shocks.
Thanks Curt for that detail on the AA shocks.
BTW, where can I get the "original" parts book, apparently what I have is insufficient... I'd really like a digital version as well as hard copy.
Thanks
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

How much different in length are the AA shock arms than the A arms?
flatford39
Body Type: Express

Post by flatford39 »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:How much different in length are the AA shock arms than the A arms?
My 28 AA came with front shocks. I just went out and measured the arms. They are 6.5 inches from center of ball to center of hole.

They are different from passenger cars. The rears for a passenger car are 7" center to center if I remember. Not sure if you could make those work or not.

Keep in mind that the spring perch on a 28 29 AA is different than a 28 29 passenger car. The ball for the shock sits up a little higher than the car. These are pretty hard to find as well. They will have an AA forged on them so they are pretty easy to identify.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Thank you flatford ; now I have a number to work with.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

BTW, where can I get the "original" parts book, apparently what I have is insufficient... I'd really like a digital version as well as hard copy.
Thanks[/quote]

Brattons sells reprints of the July 1, 1931 "Model A & AA Parts Price List" which is the book I use. In the 2014 catalog it's on p. 159. You might also find this on ebay. It is called "Price List" but it is the parts catalog with all part numbers and many illustrations.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:Thank you flatford ; now I have a number to work with.
If you do a search here for shock arms you will find a pic that Neal Wilson posted showing all three versions, all 3 versions will work.
Regards Brian.