Radius Ball

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Radius Ball

Post by captain marty »

I can't seem to find the diameter of the radius ball.
I also want to know which type of reparir will be best if I have mine rebuilt.
Thanks,
Marty
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Radius Ball

Post by KimVanOrder »

One way to determine what the Dia. is supposed to be would be to purchase the "shim" that is used for adjusting the fit. Or get the Kit for rebuilding and get the rad. from that.

One way to rebuild the ball is to weld it up and file it to shape. Remember that there is verry little movement durring use. (If any) and a gob of grease will fix a lot of Misfit.

Just some thoughts.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, top to bottom will wear more than side to side. Attached are pics of a used ball with a dial caliper. I would guess that 1.5" may be the original diameter. Clad welding/grinding/filing works well, and the shim works well. When using the shim, put it on top of the ball so that the steering castor stays in your favor. You may have to drill a hole in the center of the shim for "automatic oiling" to take place. I have used a large flat washer and made it dish shaped by clamping it in a vise with a large socket on one side and a small socket on the other; instant shim! Its not one of the critical items to worry about (such as brakes, cooling, engine bearings,king pins, steering balls), as long as you have new springs, sleeves, good threads on your bolts, and grease. Never use those rubber conversion things. Steve.
Attachments
ballside.jpg
ballside.jpg (315.25 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
balltab.jpg
balltab.jpg (230.58 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Post by E.Moore »

The front radius arm ball meaures 1-1/2 inches in diameter on a New Old Stock front radius arm assembly (front wishbone) The 30/31 AA NOS radius arm in the photo is available. Send an email to aaford157@nosford.com

The passenger car, early AA and 30/31 AA front radius arm balls are all the same diameter.
Attachments
DSCN2658.JPG
DSCN2658.JPG (247.26 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
DSCN2662.JPG
DSCN2662.JPG (239.1 KiB) Viewed 3446 times