Water pump washer

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Wickstop
Body Type: Unk
Model Year: 1928

Water pump washer

Post by Wickstop »

Rebuilding my water pump and their are 3bronze washers 1/8"x2" and don't know where
they belong. The center holes fit the pump shaft tightly. Need advice.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Water pump washer

Post by gunmetal 2 »

This is a parts diagram for the the 28-31 ford water pump.
Attachments
Image10010.jpg
Image10010.jpg (271.34 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B
Model Year: 1931

Post by AAholic »

I'd venture to say they were being used as spacers to take up excessive end play?
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

If they fit the shaft tightly, and OD fits even with the roller bearing, they go either side of the bearing, then run against the bearing edges, then packings, then cups.
#10 in the drawing above.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Post by E.Moore »

When rebuilding the Model A water pump, one needs to install the water pump with gasket on the head and move the water pump shaft toward the head. There is often a lot of wear on the water pump shaft stop (thrust) in the head. The extra brass shims are used to take up the excessive wear to prevent the water pump shaft from walking back and forth in the water pump housing bearing assembly. Many water pumps leak for one reason due to excessive shaft movement. When there is excessive wear, the fan will move back and forth and the fan belt can wear prematurely. .010 inch is what I measure between the water pump shaft and water pump shaft stop (thrust) on my engine with a NOS head and NOS water pump with the correct water pump to head gasket.