WHAT'S UP WITH YOU ALL

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: WHAT'S UP WITH YOU ALL

Post by Chris Haynes »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:the Ford 'dual-high', (or other 'brownie'/style auxilary box) would have been close to ideal, especially with a 'modified' engine.
The Dual High is a Direct/Underdrive. It wouldn't be helpful.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

IF YOU'D PAY ATTENTION PLEASE :The "Dual-High", with a more powerful engine would function similarly to how it originally did, only now the higher (direct) gear would be in front of a lower numericallly rear-end gear, & give highway-speed capability, reserving the lower(under)gear for power applications, very much as was Ford's intent with the original package, only moved-up to the present. NOW :as seems that such a set of bevel-gears does not exist, I move on to Over-Drives & other "Under-Over" transmissions to search for ways to drag us kicking & screaming into the modern world, if we don't find ways to co-exist with modern highway speeds & conditions, we almost certainly will eventually find ourselves legally restricted to secondary roads & required to add safety or warning devices similarlly to the restrictions the Amish in rural Pennsylvania face with their horse-drawn carriages. In the worst case scenario, we could face being required to have "Special Permits" to operate over Public Roads with our relatively slow moving trucks, or worse yet, having to trailer our trucks to special events & only legally be able to operate them at those special event locations. If you would be happy with those restrictions, just keep discouraging those of us who actually want to use our trucks in the modern world :I'm sure those of us who actually want to use our trucks vehemently wish to avoid any possible "Blanket Restrictions" based only on age & perceived lack of performance by the authorities, in the name of "Public Safety"!! NO, I'M NOT TRYING TO INSTIGATE A FIGHT : I'M TRYING TO FIND SOLUTIONS TO ENABLE ALL OF US TO SAFELY ENJOY OUR TRUCKS IN THE MODERN WORLD!! THANK YOU!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:IF YOU'D PAY ATTENTION PLEASE...
...NO, I'M NOT TRYING TO INSTIGATE A FIGHT : I'M TRYING TO FIND SOLUTIONS TO ENABLE ALL OF US TO SAFELY ENJOY OUR TRUCKS IN THE MODERN WORLD!! THANK YOU!
When you find said solution, clue us in...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
BrianT
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:IF YOU'D PAY ATTENTION PLEASE :The "Dual-High", with a more powerful engine would function similarly to how it originally did, only now the higher (direct) gear would be in front of a lower numericallly rear-end gear, & give highway-speed capability, reserving the lower(under)gear for power applications, very much as was Ford's intent with the original package, only moved-up to the present. NOW :as seems that such a set of bevel-gears does not exist, I move on to Over-Drives & other "Under-Over" transmissions to search for ways to drag us kicking & screaming into the modern world, if we don't find ways to co-exist with modern highway speeds & conditions, we almost certainly will eventually find ourselves legally restricted to secondary roads & required to add safety or warning devices similarlly to the restrictions the Amish in rural Pennsylvania face with their horse-drawn carriages. In the worst case scenario, we could face being required to have "Special Permits" to operate over Public Roads with our relatively slow moving trucks, or worse yet, having to trailer our trucks to special events & only legally be able to operate them at those special event locations. If you would be happy with those restrictions, just keep discouraging those of us who actually want to use our trucks in the modern world :I'm sure those of us who actually want to use our trucks vehemently wish to avoid any possible "Blanket Restrictions" based only on age & perceived lack of performance by the authorities, in the name of "Public Safety"!! NO, I'M NOT TRYING TO INSTIGATE A FIGHT : I'M TRYING TO FIND SOLUTIONS TO ENABLE ALL OF US TO SAFELY ENJOY OUR TRUCKS IN THE MODERN WORLD!! THANK YOU!
Excuse me if this bothers you, ----- your rude attitude in your last few posts will not help you find solutions that you are seeking, it is also a courtesy to answer posts that ask you a question.

On this planet where the sky is blue, these trucks and there little brothers will never EVER be safe to drive in the modern world regardless of speed, there brakes are capable of stopping very well when reconditioned properly, stability is poor due to tire choice and there suspension system, club tours are normally kept around 55 MPH as most know there vehicles limitations. JMHO.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

This winter, I am putting a modern Ford sycro 4 speed transmission in mine. It bolts directly to the AA bellhousing with only a modification to the short drive shaft, no cutting the frame. It uses the original shift lever. The only way somebody is going to know if they crawl under the truck! :wink:
Attachments
aries%20aa%20transmission%20001 (2).jpg
aries%20aa%20transmission%20001 (2).jpg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 6219 times
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Hello Don,
This is the way I will go if I keep my truck, having close ratio gears and its OD would make touring with a Double A somewhat of a pleasure, I lean mostly to being a purest, this setup requires no butchering to install, and can be reversed back to stock if need be.
Chris Haynes
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

I choose to use a Warford behind my 4 speed. I have no trouble at all driving it. It is simply a matter of learning how. Once you have the hang of it it is second nature. BTW I never use the clutch when shifting. Just a habit from being a commercial truck driver for 50 years.
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open
Model Year: 1928

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Glad I woke somebody up!! If my being concerned about the possibility of Governmental restrictions due to being considered road hazards if we didn't "improve" the performance to 'minimal' standards is considered "rude" by the 'purists'; So be it : "You can jes' kiss my grits!" LOL!!! No, I'm not implying that EVERYBODY needs to make their trucks safe for modern traffic, but for those of us who choose to do so, let's make the required information readily available, & NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT BUILDING "RAT-RODS" : I believe that there is a place for "SURVIVORS", built as if upgraded through time to have been kept on the road for the past 80+ years, with parts that would have been used when the 'pure/original' were not available. Many of the parts that we have available today have only recently been reproduced, so before that, what would have been substituted to keep the truck on the road? We all have seen "tributes to human ingenuity" on many older vehicles, & whether 'good' or 'bad,' the vehicle was kept in service : perhaps we should recognize some of these, instead of look down on them for "not being original" & therefore 'bad'?? LOOK OUT : HE'S TRYING TO GET US TO THINK AGAIN.....LOL !!!!
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:Glad I woke somebody up!! If my being concerned about the possibility of Governmental restrictions due to being considered road hazards if we didn't "improve" the performance to 'minimal' standards is considered "rude" by the 'purists'; So be it : "You can jes' kiss my grits!" LOL!!! No, I'm not implying that EVERYBODY needs to make their trucks safe for modern traffic, but for those of us who choose to do so, let's make the required information readily available, & NO, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT BUILDING "RAT-RODS" : I believe that there is a place for "SURVIVORS", built as if upgraded through time to have been kept on the road for the past 80+ years, with parts that would have been used when the 'pure/original' were not available. Many of the parts that we have available today have only recently been reproduced, so before that, what would have been substituted to keep the truck on the road? We all have seen "tributes to human ingenuity" on many older vehicles, & whether 'good' or 'bad,' the vehicle was kept in service : perhaps we should recognize some of these, instead of look down on them for "not being original" & therefore 'bad'?? LOOK OUT : HE'S TRYING TO GET US TO THINK AGAIN.....LOL !!!!
Not sure you woke anyone up, but you annoyed some.
Let folks build as they choose...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yea, theres ways to be safe. i wouldn't want to go on a 55mph highway anyways in one. secondary roads are where i believe these trucks would feel right at home. you can put orange triangles on a c clamp or strong magnet and put it on to cruise but take it off for shows or whatnot. same with reflective tape on a magnetic sheet.

obviously a second brake/tail light and adding turn signals would be an ideal minimum in my book
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Thank you all so far that are starting to see that there are good things happening. Keep that +++++++++ thoughts not all that ---------------. Keep the request coming.
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Chris Haynes wrote:I choose to use a Warford behind my 4 speed. I have no trouble at all driving it. It is simply a matter of learning how. Once you have the hang of it it is second nature. BTW I never use the clutch when shifting. Just a habit from being a commercial truck driver for 50 years.
I would go for a Warford also, but it would be a heartache to pay a thousand dollars or more then find out its a yard ornament and no parts to fix it, I hear they will whine in high which can be annoying, have you experienced this?.
The clutch less shifting is OK but you lose a lot of forward momentum if on a grade, I have used my Hi-Low unit by shifting on the fly into low on hills when the grade was getting the better of the engine, noisy but gets the job done, with the high compression head it rarely gets used now.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

There's a Warford for sale on Ford Barn http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147157

Bob
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Do you think this is the Warford that fits the 3 speed trans without the need for additional parts other than whats shown ? ---- AAG 4999
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

The bearing retainer is for a 4-speed but the Warford looks like for a 28-29.

Bob