WHAT'S UP WITH YOU ALL

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

WHAT'S UP WITH YOU ALL

Post by gunmetal 2 »

I will give this another try, got 194 lookers and 10 response for parts that you wish they would reproduce with good grade parts. There are a lot more 11 persons that would like to see parts made for the AA's. My e-mail address is 1929oldlady@gmail.com .............. If you don't have any thing then why do I see persons complaining about parts they need an wish they made a repop.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: WHAT'S UP WITH YOU ALL

Post by Stakebed »

Correct 28/29 front spring and correct u bolts to hold it in
wish someone would stock the carrier bearings for the worm drive (their out there as i got my numbers from crosscut on here)
alot of the brake parts
rear 28/29 rods both service and emergency
why doesn't anyone reproduce the manual wiper handle/arm for CCPU's?
quality reproduction of the rear platform bed piece that is always banged up/rusted out.
REAR FENDERS

cant think of much right off hand...

thats what i posted on your other topic - majority of the AA parts are already reproduced and thier mostly mechanical parts that are AA specific.

the rest is standard A parts that seem to lack quality that we complain about much like the standard A owners.

I wish they would reproduce the 28/29 front spring perches for AA's would be another item that is commonly worn out.

I am still looking for a front spring for a 28/29 aa... or if anyones got partial leafs to one id be happy too! i have the lower few from the standard 12 leaf and/or need the top and bottom leafs for the 18 leaf...
bambooboy
Body Type: 82-a

Post by bambooboy »

I'm in need of light switch at base of steering column for my 29 ccpu :( .i will not buy one from vendors because of all negative comments on quality of repo's.(including bert's who sells them. tom
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Gunmetal, I think one of the hardest AA parts to find is an original extra long rear view mirror bracket, for seeing around the side of the stakebed trucks.
If you find a lot of demand for some parts, are you going to make them?
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

I'd like to see High speed rear ring and worm gear sets. Lets go for a lower than stock ratio. 7.25 :1 , 5.25 : 1 , Or better yet 3.75 :1 for around town use. Most AA have the Low range for power when you need it.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
drtrcrV-8
Body Type: open

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Whoa now, Don't stop with the "worm" gears : how about a 4:11 ring/pinion for the bevel rear??? With our 20" tires we'd at least be "in the ballpark" for modern street use ; if we needed power, we've still got our "dual-high" underdrives to kick in!!
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

this is true but to be honest i dont know how you would decrease the ratio in the worm drive since the worm still has to mesh with the gear and you cant move the worm...(cant make the ring smaller in other terms)

bevel gear guys shouldnt be too much of a hassle...
drtrcrV-8

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Does anyone on here know of any bevel gear set in 4:11(or anywhere near?) available that will work in one of these original housings? If you do, please post sources & numbers here, as it would make our efforts to have streetable trucks a lot easier.
drtrcrV-8

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

ANYBODY??
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

drtrcrV-8 wrote:ANYBODY??
No, I have checked, there is not a 4:11 gear set that fits the ford housing in the known universe, and if there was, somebody would have done it by now.imho.
But there is this...
http://www.dickspadaro.com/quickchange.htm
Last edited by spectria on August 15th, 2014, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
drtrcrV-8

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

spectria wrote:
drtrcrV-8 wrote:ANYBODY??
No, I have checked, there is not a 4:11 worm gear set that fits the ford housing in the known universe, and if there was, somebody would have done it by now.imho.
But there is this...
http://www.dickspadaro.com/quickchange.htm
IF YOU WOULD READ WHAT I WROTE: I SPECIFICALLY ASKED ABOUT BEVEL(RING & PINION????) ____NOT____ WORM____!! NOW, TO REPEAT : IS THERE, OR HAS THERE EVER BEEN, A RING & PINION(BEVEL GEAR!!!) THAT WILL FIT & WORK IN THE 1929 & NEWER BEVEL GEAR HOUSING AS USED UNDER "AA" & "BB" FORD TRUCKS SOMEWHERE AROUND 4:11 to 4:40?? I thought that if I used large print, someone MIGHT ACTUALLY READ IT BEFORE ANSWERING A QUESTION THAT I DIDN'T ASK!!
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

The answer to your question is no, you would never make it up hills using those ratios, it is bad enough with a 5.14, do you have a bevel gear axle in a 28-29 and still using a Hi-Low unit?.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

on making a lower gear ratio worm gear, The man down south of me that makes them from time to time. Told me that 5.14:1 is the lowest that they can make.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

i thought mitchel made an overdrive for our AA's? or used to...

or if your lucky you can find a walford 3 speed to take the place of your dual high. would be neat to see something like that reproduced but id imagine it would be very costly for such a small market of us...

maybe there's something more modern one could use?
drtrcrV-8

Post by drtrcrV-8 »

Yes, Mitchell does make an O.O. for "AA", but I'd hoped there was a readily available bevel gear ring & pinion out there. There are other options to check out, such as a 3 spd Warford-style(under/direct/over), or something modern(4 or 5 spd with 'top' being O.D.) : I'm looking for something to add(or substitute) in the drive-line in front of the torque-tube, so I don't need to 'cut' &/or 'splice' it. If there had been an available R & P, the Ford 'dual-high', (or other 'brownie'/style auxilary box) would have been close to ideal, especially with a 'modified' engine.