Towing with a model AA for a carshow

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
mistyreiny
Body Type: flatbed
Model Year: 1932

Towing with a model AA for a carshow

Post by mistyreiny »

My father has a tandem axle trailer with electric brakes.
the trailer weighs in at 1000lbs.
For carshows, I want to have the model AA pull a trailer with 2 antique cars on it, to show off what our 'old' vehicles could do. The cars on the trailer are a 1973 plymouth roadrunner with a new engine in her, she weighs in at about 3800lbs. The other vehicle, I really don't know what it will be but i will list the options and their weights: 1993 Toyota Camry 3100lbs, 1969 corvette 3000lbs, or a 1981 4-dr VW diesel rabbit 1900lbs.
So the trailer the AA will be towing in the car show will weigh from 6700lbs to 7800lbs.
I am still working on restoring my model AA so it will be easy to make changes now.
I know the truck does not have much horsepower, a mere 40hp, but even if the truck does have to stay in 1st gear all the time, its in a car show parade, its going to be in 1st gear full time. My question is will the truck be able to move that kind of weight? or should I immediately start looking into swapping out the rear gear ratios in it?
Yes, I do know that getting the trailer moving is a big problem. I already thought of a way to overcome that and its not with snapping the clutch out and potentially grinding gears, of which I am not going to do. My idea is to put a pintle hitch on the truck and a tire on the trailer's hitch, that way i will back up to and connect to the tire, which pulls the trailer but should flex enough to let me gently let the clutch out.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Towing with a model AA for a carshow

Post by spectria »

mistyreiny wrote:My father has a tandem axle trailer with electric brakes.
the trailer weighs in at 1000lbs.
For carshows, I want to have the model AA pull a trailer with 2 antique cars on it, to show off what our 'old' vehicles could do. The cars on the trailer are a 1973 plymouth roadrunner with a new engine in her, she weighs in at about 3800lbs. The other vehicle, I really don't know what it will be but i will list the options and their weights: 1993 Toyota Camry 3100lbs, 1969 corvette 3000lbs, or a 1981 4-dr VW diesel rabbit 1900lbs.
So the trailer the AA will be towing in the car show will weigh from 6700lbs to 7800lbs.
I am still working on restoring my model AA so it will be easy to make changes now.
I know the truck does not have much horsepower, a mere 40hp, but even if the truck does have to stay in 1st gear all the time, its in a car show parade, its going to be in 1st gear full time. My question is will the truck be able to move that kind of weight? or should I immediately start looking into swapping out the rear gear ratios in it?
Yes, I do know that getting the trailer moving is a big problem. I already thought of a way to overcome that and its not with snapping the clutch out and potentially grinding gears, of which I am not going to do. My idea is to put a pintle hitch on the truck and a tire on the trailer's hitch, that way i will back up to and connect to the tire, which pulls the trailer but should flex enough to let me gently let the clutch out.
Welcome to the Forum...
Great idea, one I also have... The AA could probably pull 3 AA platforms with full loads towed behind in low gear, no problem on fairly level ground.
My first concern would be stopping, you would need to adapt your 12 volt electric brakes.
2nd the hitch idea is a no go imho, as it would not be legal, and would allow to much movement. If you can shift a 4 spd AA gearbox you could start in 1st (granny) and not jerk your load.
3rd, Power, if speed isn't an issue, go through the bearings to be sure they can handle more power, then install a 6:1 head and better carb, maybe port and match the head and manifolds for cheap power +. Radiator will need to be perfect...
more to come...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
mistyreiny

Post by mistyreiny »

Spectria, thank you I forgot to put these lines in my orignal post. I did say it was a trailer with electric brakes but I left off at that. I figure I can retrofit the truck with a 12volt battery, if the battery does nothing else, it powers the trailer lights and the trailer brakes. I am going to convert the truck over to a 1q2volt system, 12volt generator windings, lights, etc...Yes I am also going to install one of those trailer brake controllers they sell for modern vehicles on the old truck.
mistyreiny

Post by mistyreiny »

change of plans, My dad told me the trailer would not be long enough, length never crossed my mind. the Plymouth is 17.7ft, rabbit is 12.5ft. so total is 30.2ft. No way with that difference, I do have another trailer though. but compared to this trailer its huge, 30 to 40ft trailer. Pintle trailer with air brakes. I figure as long as the AA pulls the 20ft trailer with a good amount of weight on it, Ill attempt the air brake trailer then.
spectria

Post by spectria »

mistyreiny wrote:change of plans, My dad told me the trailer would not be long enough, length never crossed my mind. the Plymouth is 17.7ft, rabbit is 12.5ft. so total is 30.2ft. No way with that difference, I do have another trailer though. but compared to this trailer its huge, 30 to 40ft trailer. Pintle trailer with air brakes. I figure as long as the AA pulls the 20ft trailer with a good amount of weight on it, Ill attempt the air brake trailer then.
Ok, air brakes need air... you pulling my leg?
mistyreiny

Post by mistyreiny »

Would you believe me if I said the AA brakes came stock with air brakes?
spectria

Post by spectria »

mistyreiny wrote:Would you believe me if I said the AA brakes came stock with air brakes?
No...
Post a pic of your AA
mistyreiny

Post by mistyreiny »

Nah, just trying to mess with you man. My college degree is in engineering, though electronic engineering, you have to see it from the point of view where everything is possible, you just have to figure out how. Backstory: A friend of mine put two air powered train horns in the grill of his toronado. He put an air compressor to drive the horn in the trunk of it, and a solenoid in the passenger seat floor, so that when he wants the horn he kicks a leg over to the button, and hello 120decibels. My plan is to hook up all the electrical of the air brake trailer, the same as I would a regular trailer. As for having the air brake button sitting on the brake pedal as modern air brakes are. have a lever in the middle seat next to me so that when I am slowing down I increase the air flow to the trailer.
Yes, you might point out that i have the system backwards, the brakes are negative air pressure, the brakes really go off when air is applied, and on when it releases the air. The same method still applies, To take off, I engage the air brakes, to release them, and as I slow down I release the air pressure, increasing the brake power. This is like most modern air brake trailers, the brakes are applied by springs so that way it does not move when not hooked up or the truck is not turned on. Overall, the point is you need air pressure to release the brakes.
jungerfrosch
Body Type: Doodlebug
Model Year: 1928

Post by jungerfrosch »

Air brakes are not applied by springs and held off by air.

All air brakes are pressure applied. Hitting the brake pressure applies air to the service brakes.

Incorporated in modern trucks is an emergency brake that is spring applied and held off by air, but this is for emergencies and parking only. During normal use the emergency side of the spring brakes sees full line pressure at all times.

So long as you are only using this setup at slow speeds in a parade it would probably be OK, but please for your sake and everyone else you will be around on the road do not cobble together a braking system for on the road use. If you want to get a compressor and a treadle brake valve and set up a proper air system that is one thing, but I do not believe that is what you are planning.

Tad
spectria

Post by spectria »

jungerfrosch wrote:Air brakes are not applied by springs and held off by air.

All air brakes are pressure applied. Hitting the brake pressure applies air to the service brakes.

Incorporated in modern trucks is an emergency brake that is spring applied and held off by air, but this is for emergencies and parking only. During normal use the emergency side of the spring brakes sees full line pressure at all times.
So long as you are only using this setup at slow speeds in a parade it would probably be OK, but please for your sake and everyone else you will be around on the road do not cobble together a braking system for on the road use. If you want to get a compressor and a treadle brake valve and set up a proper air system that is one thing, but I do not believe that is what you are planning. Tad
Amen!
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Personally... forget about setting up and using any kind of trailer. The standard AA's were not designed to be pulling a trailer. Just getting a hitch on it will be a bear.

If you really want to impress people and show them what these trucks are capable of just load the platform up with really heavy stuff.
Heck you could probably take your Plymouth, Toyota, Corvette and the Rabbit to the junk yard, have them squished flat, stack em all up on your truck and drive the parade then.

Dave
------------
Dave
spectria

Post by spectria »

1crosscut wrote:Personally... forget about setting up and using any kind of trailer. The standard AA's were not designed to be pulling a trailer. Just getting a hitch on it will be a bear.

If you really want to impress people and show them what these trucks are capable of just load the platform up with really heavy stuff.
Heck you could probably take your Plymouth, Toyota, Corvette and the Rabbit to the junk yard, have them squished flat, stack em all up on your truck and drive the parade then. Dave
LOL, great Idea...