AA Worm Drive Flat Towing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
JPB
Body Type: none, stakeside wtd
Model Year: 1929

AA Worm Drive Flat Towing

Post by JPB »

My only experience with worm drives is with winches and various farm and construction machinery. Most of them are designed to resist being driven by turning the output shaft. In other words, the winch resists being spooled by pulling on the cable. Therefore, a clutch or coupling is included for the purpose of disengaging the spool (think truck wheels). Now to my question: Is there something about the AA worm drive that permits the truck to be towed flat (rear wheels on ground) or winched up on a trailer? How far/fast dare I tow one?
Thank you.
JPB
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Worm Drive Flat Towing

Post by spectria »

JPB wrote:My only experience with worm drives is with winches and various farm and construction machinery. Most of them are designed to resist being driven by turning the output shaft. In other words, the winch resists being spooled by pulling on the cable. Therefore, a clutch or coupling is included for the purpose of disengaging the spool (think truck wheels). Now to my question: Is there something about the AA worm drive that permits the truck to be towed flat (rear wheels on ground) or winched up on a trailer? How far/fast dare I tow one? Thank you.
JPB
Fantastic question. I didn't think about the spooling resistance, but learned of it in school.
Of the hundreds of Peugeots (most with brass worms) I have hand pushed in and out of the shop, and the one AA worm drive vehicle (a trailer with a ruckstell worm drive) I moved around by hand, I never felt any additional rolling resistance.
Wonder if Peugeot had a warning in the owners manual?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

yea boggles my mind too, i think its due to the axle gear being beveled along with the worm so it kinda slides past each other. i sure wouldnt go very fast with it...

i have drug the rearend around the yard by hand moving it about and didnt seem "weird" or feel funny.
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

If you have the emergency brake off and the truck out of gear the truck will free wheel were ever you push it. Mine rolled off the trailor that it was on when it came time to unload it. The wench that we use pulled on the trailor just fine. As for flat out towing that I really can't answer for a short distance I think you would be OK. I agree with the fact don't go very fast. By the way Bill go luck on the truck today, hope to see lots of pics.
JPB

Post by JPB »

Thanks. Postponed until Tuesday.
May need help with posting pictures.
spectria

Post by spectria »

JPB wrote:Thanks. Postponed until Tuesday.
May need help with posting pictures.
email me, i'll get them up for you d z a p p s s a t G m a i l d o t c o m
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

JPB wrote:My only experience with worm drives is with winches and various farm and construction machinery. Most of them are designed to resist being driven by turning the output shaft. In other words, the winch resists being spooled by pulling on the cable. Therefore, a clutch or coupling is included for the purpose of disengaging the spool (think truck wheels). Now to my question: Is there something about the AA worm drive that permits the truck to be towed flat (rear wheels on ground) or winched up on a trailer? How far/fast dare I tow one?
Thank you.
JPB
The worm gears in autos and trucks present no problem on the drive side or coast side, however with fine tooth gear sets they will bind (if not driven by some means), case in point is the 7 tooth steering box that the Double A and A cars used for the most part of the first 2 years, they turn well left and right but will NOT self center, the output is the sector shaft, turning a road wheel while off the ground the steering cannot be turned, Henry used this as a plus, stating you will not feel road shock thru the steering wheel.
Generally it is not recommended to tow any vehicle with the drive wheels on the ground at speed or long distances, if towing with the above type steering box the vehicle will not follow the towing vehicle it will drag the tires sideways when turning.
JPB

Post by JPB »

BrianT wrote:
JPB wrote:My only experience with worm drives is with winches and various farm and construction machinery. Most of them are designed to resist being driven by turning the output shaft. In other words, the winch resists being spooled by pulling on the cable. Therefore, a clutch or coupling is included for the purpose of disengaging the spool (think truck wheels). Now to my question: Is there something about the AA worm drive that permits the truck to be towed flat (rear wheels on ground) or winched up on a trailer? How far/fast dare I tow one?
Thank you.
JPB
The worm gears in autos and trucks present no problem on the drive side or coast side, however with fine tooth gear sets they will bind (if not driven by some means), case in point is the 7 tooth steering box that the Double A and A cars used for the most part of the first 2 years, they turn well left and right but will NOT self center, the output is the sector shaft, turning a road wheel while off the ground the steering cannot be turned, Henry used this as a plus, stating you will not feel road shock thru the steering wheel.
Generally it is not recommended to tow any vehicle with the drive wheels on the ground at speed or long distances, if towing with the above type steering box the vehicle will not follow the towing vehicle it will drag the tires sideways when turning.
Don't want to beat this to death, so one more question for now, please. Do you believe it would be reasonable for me to tow with the rear end on my tow dolly and the steering wheel firmly tied down? I'm talking about self-rescue in one of the neighboring towns in case of a breakdown, or travel to and from a parade, not long-distance transport. Maybe 50-55 mph. I have transported a more modern truck this way.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Post by BrianT »

I have been thinking along those lines for a while, I have a Carson 18ft duel axle trailer 7.500lbs gross that tows great, It is seldom used except for long distant shows 2 - 3 times a year, and takes up some room when not used, renting trailers that are available are not an option, so I would say go for it, let us know how it works out.
spectria

Post by spectria »

JPB wrote:
BrianT wrote:
Thank you.
JPB
Don't want to beat this to death, so one more question for now, please. Do you believe it would be reasonable for me to tow with the rear end on my tow dolly and the steering wheel firmly tied down? I'm talking about self-rescue in one of the neighboring towns in case of a breakdown, or travel to and from a parade, not long-distance transport. Maybe 50-55 mph. I have transported a more modern truck this way.
I have attempted towing a modern truck and an AA backward on my Demco Kar Kaddy and the Caster (another fun subject) in the trucks made it impossible to keep the front end following straight. It began the death wiggle at about 26 mph...
I have seen many a vehicle towed backwards by a tow truck on the saddle, no problem...
I built a special tow dolly axle that clamped to the AA drums with 20,000 pound test straps and put the front end on the Kar Kaddy, 600 miles, no problem...
Some here thought it unsafe, but the CHP had no problem with it.
Look at my Avatar...