AA Speedometer

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1930AADUMP
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1930

AA Speedometer

Post by 1930AADUMP »

My truck came without a speedometer. Would prefer to purchase a good used one to save dollars if possible. Suggested resources? Thank you.
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: AA Speedometer

Post by BrianT »

Hello Paul,
They show up on Fordbarn swap meet often, hopefully they are honest as to whether it works OK, be sure to ask if both the speed and odometer works.
Regards Brian.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have several used oval speedometers in unknown condition. $25.00 each.
1930AADUMP

Post by 1930AADUMP »

Chris,

The price is certainly right though I would not have the slightest clue how to rebuild it if necessary. I am new to all things Model A or AA. Plan to learn as I go with this truck but work and family will take the lions share of my time. It will be a slow process.....

I did search fordbarn as Brian suggested as well as ebay. What is a fair price for a rebuilt one? Here is a link to an ebay auction for one that would fit my model. Good price? More than I want to spend but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-A-FORD-30 ... e5&vxp=mtr

Paul
BrianT

Post by BrianT »

Check with this guy from Fordbarn seems to have a good following if looking for a rebuilt.

jrnichols642@ayhoo.com
1930AADUMP

Post by 1930AADUMP »

Brian, the ebay listing and your fordbarn link appears to be the same guy. Seems to have a good following and no issues on ebay.

Still.... May take a chance on one from Chris. Might get lucky and it will work. I assume I will have to buy a cable as well. Are they universal to these old speedometers?

Paul
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Welcome the the Forum, Mac's have the speedometer cable it is part number 28-25072-1 for the 28-29 @ 62.50. For mid 30-31 part number 28-25073-1 @ 41.25. So for your other question no they are not universal, the Model A's are different also because of the fact they are shorter in lenght.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Which one do you need, the one Chris has is oval and the one you linked to Ebay is round.
The oval ones are cheaper than the round ones.

Bob
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

You may find what you need at the San Fernando Valley Model A Ford Club Swap Meet in Chatsworth this Sunday.
http://sfvalleymodela.com/wp-content/up ... -20141.pdf
1930AADUMP

Post by 1930AADUMP »

Good observation Bob. I guess I should have read Chris's post more carefully. Yes I need the round version.

Chris, I am on the other side of the country so a purchase at that swap meet would be costly. :lol:

I will update my profile.

Paul
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

There were two different 1930 body styles. Early '30 used oval and late used round.
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A

Post by 1oldman57 »

Talking from experience, make sure the speedometer and odometer turn freely before hooking up a new cable to the truck. If there is any bidding the cable will break. Mine
only lasted for a half mile. There is lots of discussion on the subject on Ford Barn. Some have put on three cables before finding the cause.

Tim
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Speedometers are very simple to test. If anyone says they don't know if a speedometer works, assume it does not work.
Put a broken off end of a speedo cable, or a piece of square steel stock, in an electric drill and run the speedo with it. The operating condition will immediately be known. I use a cordless drill and start slowly.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

ModelAkid wrote:Speedometers are very simple to test. If anyone says they don't know if a speedometer works, assume it does not work.
Put a broken off end of a speedo cable, or a piece of square steel stock, in an electric drill and run the speedo with it. The operating condition will immediately be known. I use a cordless drill and start slowly.

Its kind of a hassle to carry a drill motor to a swap meet. ;-)
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Its kind of a hassle to carry a drill motor to a swap meet. ;-)[/quote]

I was thinking about bench testing in the shop. But if I went to a swap meet and was looking for a used speedometer, I would bring a cordless drill to test them. Maybe it's just me, not wanting to pay too much for junk.