Cylinder head on 29 AA Good or bad?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
1oldman57
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Cylinder head on 29 AA Good or bad?

Post by 1oldman57 »

I had seepage around my head gasket. Mostly oil and not water. I removed the head and took it to a automotive machine shop to have it resurfaced. They mag the head for cracks. They found this one small crack in a combustion chamber. Is the head no good? They seem to think so. What is your opinion? I am thinking of putting on a Snyder high compression head. Any thoughts? Check out picture attached.

Tim
Attachments
105_1455.JPG
105_1455.JPG (353.81 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
BrianT
Body Type: 82A

Re: Cylinder head on 29 AA Good or bad?

Post by BrianT »

Hello Tim.
I wouldn't bother with it, the cost to fix and resurface it would most likely would be 1/3 of a 5/5 head from Snyders, which you should also look at closely for defects, in addition install the grey gasket made by the Best Gasket Company, stay away from the Silicone type.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

The crack looks repairable but might cost more to fix than another good used head. It seems like there are lots of extra heads around, $50 ea. would buy a truck load. If you belong to a Model A Club chapter I'm sure there are members with extra heads they would sell. If you are in the U.P. Michigan in late Sept. I'll fix you up with one for $40.
BTW that crack would not account for the gasket leakage you originally wanted to fix. I use original heads and original copper/asbestos head gaskets and make sure to properly torque them down, and have no problems, not even with an original high compression "police head". There are special head gasket sealing compounds available that might help. With other gaskets I usually just use a coating of grease.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

ModelAkid wrote:The crack looks repairable but might cost more to fix than another good used head. It seems like there are lots of extra heads around, $50 ea. would buy a truck load. If you belong to a Model A Club chapter I'm sure there are members with extra heads they would sell. If you are in the U.P. Michigan in late Sept. I'll fix you up with one for $40.
BTW that crack would not account for the gasket leakage you originally wanted to fix. I use original heads and original copper/asbestos head gaskets and make sure to properly torque them down, and have no problems, not even with an original high compression "police head". There are special head gasket sealing compounds available that might help. With other gaskets I usually just use a coating of grease.
i used a copper sandwich type gasket with a good coat of that copper spray gasket sealer. worked good on the model A - only ran on test stand but no issues. used plenty on modern cars with alot higher compression with no issues.