Help for the newbie

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ofiwo
Model Year: 1930

Help for the newbie

Post by ofiwo »

Hi folks - I have wanted a ford AA truck for some time. But got the bug bad right now, so thought I should get educated on the years, features, parts and truck pricing, what to look for and look out for when buying, etc. Perhaps there is a thread that is a buyers guide?

I am typically a hands-on DIYer and don't mind a project, rescue effort, and learning. I am a car guy but mostly small cars Datsun, VW, Audi, etc. Have built a 70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 but sold that a while back due to gas consumption :) Heavily addicted to VW diesels, but have aircooled also. Grew up around muscle cars from older brothers too. Now my son is into cars, has a rock crawler Toyota that we have enjoyed building together and we are building a Rabbit diesel for him now.

So as you may see I have no exposure to the Model A or AA, just admired for many years.

I am looking for any advice or pointers to good resources out there that will help educate me. I searched Ford AA truck on amazon and a few books came up but if you have a favorite that is comprehensive lease let me know.

I have also found a potential truck so if you are willing to offer opinions on that PM me and I can send a link to a fair number of pics.

Thanks for your time.

Sean.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: Help for the newbie

Post by spectria »

ofiwo wrote:Hi folks - I have wanted a ford AA truck for some time. But got the bug bad right now, so thought I should get educated on the years, features, parts and truck pricing, what to look for and look out for when buying, etc. Perhaps there is a thread that is a buyers guide?

I am typically a hands-on DIYer and don't mind a project, rescue effort, and learning. I am a car guy but mostly small cars Datsun, VW, Audi, etc. Have built a 70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 but sold that a while back due to gas consumption :) Heavily addicted to VW diesels, but have aircooled also. Grew up around muscle cars from older brothers too. Now my son is into cars, has a rock crawler Toyota that we have enjoyed building together and we are building a Rabbit diesel for him now.

So as you may see I have no exposure to the Model A or AA, just admired for many years.

I am looking for any advice or pointers to good resources out there that will help educate me. I searched Ford AA truck on amazon and a few books came up but if you have a favorite that is comprehensive lease let me know.

I have also found a potential truck so if you are willing to offer opinions on that PM me and I can send a link to a fair number of pics.

Thanks for your time. Sean.
Welcome to the Forum, Sean.
Please post the link to the pics here, it's easier for everyone to jump in.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
1930artdeco
Body Type: n/a

Post by 1930artdeco »

Hi Sean,

Welcome, if you can work on an air cooled VW, then the Model AA truck should be no big deal, other than everything being English. The mechanics are about as complicated as your Chevy, with the obvious peculiar quirks to the AA design. Just remember everything on an AA is mechanical-no big deal once you figure it out. Also, since the trucks and cars are somewhat the same, you may want to visit the Ford Barn as well for more knowledge.

Mike
Eric P
Body Type: Model AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by Eric P »

Hi, Sean,

Welcome!

I'm not a real mechanical sort of guy but I've had a lot of fun, learned a lot and generally enjoyed the process of trying to figure out how to keep my truck running.

Two things that really are helping out. I spend time just reading what's been posted on the forums and I got a manual for my truck. The manual's pretty good. By any chance, do you remember "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive"? The manual I have is just as easy to use as that one is.

I'd love to see some pics of your truck! When you get a minute, how about posting some?

-Eric
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Also fill out at least some of your "profile", ofiwo. Everyone here should at least give a hint what part of the country you live in. If you are looking to buy anything or looking for help, we want to know where you are.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

A Model A is like a 5 year olds jigsaw puzzle. Big pieces that only fit one way. :-)
ofiwo

Post by ofiwo »

I live in Cool, California - literally :) though not always cool temps... A small town with one stop sign in the Northern Foothills two small towns over from THE spot of California Gold Discovery, Coloma California. Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome, too!
spectria

Post by spectria »

ofiwo wrote:I live in Cool, California - literally :) though not always cool temps... A small town with one stop sign in the Northern Foothills two small towns over from THE spot of California Gold Discovery, Coloma California. Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome, too!
Who knew there was a town called Cool in NorCal... I'm around the corner...
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Cool is a nice place. Both buildings. :-)
spectria

Post by spectria »

Chris Haynes wrote:Cool is a nice place. Both buildings. :-)
Lol... and the outhouse... :D
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Chris Haynes wrote:A Model A is like a 5 year olds jigsaw puzzle. Big pieces that only fit one way. :-)
haha i like it :wink: to me they feel like a huge model kit with no instructions and missing pieces... :lol:
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

The Mayor of cool Is also the proprietor of the beauty salon. At least she was a few years ago.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I live in Grass Valley, CA not too far from you. If you wish to look at trucks, engines, transmissions axles, in pieces or together then stop by (I am not selling anything). I will show you as much information as you can handle. 530-274-7079. The engine is the most expensive item to have rebuilt correctly having babbit bearings. It is not like a small block Chevy or VW, you have to pay for the crank, bearings, rods to be professionally done. A truck stored in a barn for 60 years is a bargain, the trans won't be full of water, the brake drums will not be rusted stuck, the wheel bearings will be OK. Be cautious on an amateur restored truck, the expensive corners are ALWAYS cut, especially the engine work. Anyone on this forum will tell you that nearly any old worn out Model A engine will run OK (temporarily) with rings, piston knurling, valve lapping, bearing shim adjustments, 50 wt and STP. Wire brushing and painting an old engine shiny green is cheap (and evil)! Steve.